Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on February 7, 2007
I'd never heard of James Villas before I picked this book up at my local library. I made it to the third or fourth chapter then put in a pile to be returned back.

While I enjoy people's opinions on various things, especially food, Villas' opinions were just plain 'froofy'. His words were picked to show just how wonderfully smart he is especially smarter than the average American shmoe. He pretty much hates everything about american food that's not from a speciality store.

I read a bit here and there, but it was when I got to the section about warehouse shopping that I really got turned off. (in other words I can't remember much about what he wrote until he made me angry, guess he's not that memorable).

He talked and talked and talked about how stupid americans were about shelling out money for big bags of ready-made frozen foods like chicken teriyaki, or big bottles of mayo all because it's cheaper than at a regular grocery store. But it doesn't end there, he lowers himself to going into the local supermarket and watched as people waste their hard earned money on brandname items when there were specials on other brands that were cheaper. He thought they were all crazy for doing so since to him all american food in a supermarket is crap. Even in the snooty stores he berates shoppers for getting premade foods. (I guess he cooks everything, or eats out for everything, or he has a personal chef that does it all for him).

I was going to give him 2 stars because he does write well, but I just don't think he deserves it. However, if you want to see how wonderful his vocabulary is on all those big words they use in the fancy world us normal people don't live in you'll enjoy it.
33 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.