Hey, I would love to have your advice after reading your review. I am a novice in photography and want to upgrade from my current p&s camera. I have been researching into upgrade option for quite a bit now.
My budget camera(body)+lens is around $850.
I am buying an everyday/every occasion camera. Just the one. I will be taking my camera on vacations as well as taking shots on my kids. I would be also taking videos with this carmera as I do not have a camcorder.
What I am looking for:
1) Cost of around $850.
2) Image Quality (prefer to use the straight off JPEGs and no PP)
The options I have come up with so far:
1) Sony RX 100 (cost $650)
- What I like about this camera is that its compact and as there is no interchangeble lens system, hopefully no dust/maintanece issues. Also it costs less and has good video options. Seems like a good everyday/every occasion camera.
- What I am not sure is that will this camera give me good IQ and Bokeh.
2) Panasonic G3(body) and Panasonic G 20mm f/1.7 lens (total cost $850)
- what I like about this camera is that it has the swivel lcd which is great for self portraits. Also, this camera will give me option to use a fast lens like the panasonic 20mm f/1.7.
- What I am not sure is that will this kit(camera and lens) be enough for my every day use as the focal length is about 41.5mm(35mm equivalent)? The RX100 has a range from 28mm to 100mm.
- Also, I don't think this kit will have any stabilization feature thus not sure of the effects of this on the hand held photos and videos I plan to shoot. In contrast the RX100 has stabilization.
So, in conclusion, I am confused from the 2 options above. So keeping all the points in mind from above, Will paying $200 more for the panasonic kit serve be much better than the RX100 in the field of IQ and bokeh? Or will the RX100 be a better option, keeping IQ and bokeh in mind?