Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 25, 2012
With unique premise and absorbing plot line, C.K. Kelly Martin's Yesterday is a great time travel adventure! The intriguing cover instantly drew me in, and the fast-paced, thrilling and fascinating storyline kept me well entertained and captivated all the way through. Not to mention that I just love books set in places that I'm familiar with!

Taking place in 1980's Toronto, Yesterday tells the story of one girl's quest to discover the truth about her past, her family and herself. A quest that is just as thrilling as it is dangerous, and just as thought-provoking as it is moving. Freya Kallas has just moved to Canada from Australia and she seems to have trouble acclimatising to her new surroundings. Her memories are blurry and illusive, no matter how hard she focuses, she can't recall the details. It's almost as if they're not real... Nothing about her new life in Toronto feels right. Is it just a bad case of home-sickness, or is there something more to Freya's headaches and weird dreams? And things get even more weird when she meets Garren, a strangely familiar teenager who claims that they've never met before. And when they stumble across some well-protected, shocking secrets, they find themselves running for their lives. Everything they thought they knew, every memory they believed to be true - all that crumbles to pieces right before their eyes, and they'll have to fight to find out the truth about their pasts.

First of all, I have to say that C.K. Kelly Martin did a fantastic job capturing the spirit of 1985 Toronto! Through famous quotes and various pop-culture references, she managed to really breathe life into the places and people of the time period. 1985 is the year I was born in, so I guess you can say it was personally meaningful to me that she got it all right! The atmosphere was amazing and I could easily picture all the scenes, conversations and settings. Her depictions were spot-on accurate and very vivid, and the overall effect was wonderful, charming, and quite convincing!

I thought the premise was really great. I love twisty time-travel stories and mind-bending mysteries. Yesterday is both - and more! The pacing was good, there was never a slow or boring moment, and though I did get slightly confused at times, I can honestly say that I enjoyed this book a lot. I've seen people complaining about the prologue, they say it gives away too much, killing the surprise factor. Well, yes - the prologue isn't the best one I've seen in my life, but can you really imagine the story without it? I can't. The story would be even more confusing, and I probably would not know what on earth was going on. So, while I wasn't the biggest fan of the prologue, I did recognize its importance to the plot as a whole.

I liked Freya, though I can't say that it was love at first sight. Some aspects of her personality I liked and admired, others - not so much, but in the end she grew on me and I found myself caring about her, her quest to uncover the truth, and her relationship with Garren. She had some really great qualities, she was persistent and mentally strong, she didn't give up easily and even in very hard situations she found it in herself to push trough and continue her search for the answers. Most importantly, she grew as a person, and that is something I always appreciate in YA characters. Additionally, the first-person narrative made it easy for me to connect with her and get a good idea of what she was going through. C.K. Kelly Martin's writing was raw, emotional, insightful and thoroughly absorbing. Some of the passages were almost poetic, and they spoke straight to my heart. I loved it!

Overall, Yesterday proved to be just as good as I hoped it would be. I can't wait to read the sequel and find out what Freya and Garren will do next, what dangers they'll have to face and if they'll manage to find what they're looking for!
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.