Lyft Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on November 3, 2012
I've been a Windows guy for as long as I've used computers. I build my own rigs and use them for high-performance video editing, design, and animation. I have also used Mac OSX at my "real job" for close to 6 years now, so I am extremely familiar with both sides.

Windows 8 is not iterative, it's a bold step in a new direction. It packs improvements to Windows 7 under the brand new Metro UI and environment. I figured I'd spend most of my time in the desktop environment since I'm a power user who focuses on the Adobe design suite and other desktop programs, but I find myself using the start screen far more than I imagined.

I was initially frustrated with the lack of a start button & menu in the desktop space, but once I realized I could just press the "Windows" key like I normally would, and then start typing what I needed, I found it much more helpful than the typical start menu. For example, a search for "Power Options" yields categories of results like "Settings" or even different apps I could search within. In this case, I could click on "Store" and it would do a search within the store. These changes actually make it a welcome improvement to what I thought was the biggest drawback.

The new start menu does take a bit to get used to, and the limitations of the apps within it can be frustrating, but I rarely find myself deciding I have to switch to the desktop side because I can't do what I need to.

I also appreciate the changes to more functional elements like the transfer window and task manager. It makes everything work much nicer.

Pros
-New UI with functional design in mind
-Noticeable performance improvements
-An integrated Microsoft experience across all platforms (e.g. Xbox & Skydrive)
-A relatively inexpensive upgrade

Cons
-Learning curve
-Not an must have, since 7 was good
-RT & Pro will undoubtedly confuse most people

Overall, I'm very happy I upgraded, but I can't necessarily say that it's a no brainer. There are good things and bad things, and I really believe the updates Microsoft is working on will make significant improvements. But until then, you're probably just as fine sticking with 7 unless you'll really make use of the new features.

Verdict: if you're on Windows 7, check out the features and see if it's compelling for you. If you're on anything before 7, upgrade to 8 now!
0Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.