Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

on November 30, 2012
I was not sure if I should get the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells or the Universal Power Pak. The Bowflex SelectTech 552 don't seem to be very durable. There are YouTube videos showing the plastic selector plates break easy and they show how to repair with glue since they are breaking so frequently. They also talk about ordering other parts on EBay for repairs, so apparently there are issues with other parts. They also say you need to set the dumbbells down gently in order not to break the plastic selector plates. I needed dumbbells that are durable. Sometimes I can't set dumbbells down gently due to I am exhausted after the set. You also have to set/adjust the weight on BOTH sides of each dumbbell. I thought the Bowflex may be nice since you can adjust in 2.5 lb. increments up to 25 lbs. But then I started thinking that I have never been able to adjust conventional type dumbbells in 2.5 lb. increments, so what's the point.
Based on the aforementioned, I purchased the Universal Power Pak. The Universals have been great. You can set/adjust the weight on either side of each dumbbell, which is very convenient. They come with a stand, but you don't need to use the stand if you want to save space. You only need the trays the dumbbell rests in. The trays can sit on the floor, table, or mounted to the stand. I saw other reviews where some said they don't like the stand design because it doesn't use a pedestal. The stand design is great because it DOESN'T use a pedestal. The stand design allows you to more easily store stuff under it. Some other reviewer complained about the weight plates being noisy clanking together. I do not see this as a problem at all. They are quieter than the old school steel weight plates on a dumbbell hand bars I had been using. I hope this review helps others. It was very difficult for me to decide between the two types. I have been very happy with this purchase.
11 comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.