Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

2.0 out of 5 stars The Comical Journalist, May 13, 2012
This review is from: The Richer Sex: How the New Majority of Female Breadwinners Is Transforming Sex, Love and Family (Hardcover)
In the Era of Women, citizens might expect incisive and insightful works from our nation's thinkers as we explore the impact of the efforts of the past 40 years. Unfortunately, if we praise Mundy's Richer Sex, we would be doing ourselves a disfavor. Mundy profiles the "new way" of a new prime time character, the beta boyfriend, one who is no match for the high powered, high earning woman that is continuing the ascent to power. Most of the book outlines the path to glory for women who must deftly navigate the treacherous seas that is the scorned and fallen man. What Mundy fails to realize is that she ironically does nothing else than write this new woman as the "man" of yesteryear.

In true sociological fashion, Mundy gains the meat for her book in a series of interviews. However, we are missing the point of view of men who may be dissatisfied with their new role as homemakers and of course those who have nothing in common with the new dynamic. Mundy acknowledges two types: the straying males, who without the need to work, spend their days out cheating on their breadwinners, and the good boys, who creatively devise new ways to feel whole without the mythical "male" power. "Cinderella has been rewritten," she claims, as men need to get married to pull themselves out of destitution... seriously? With quotes like this, we become immediately aware that this is no book of cold, intellectual exploration, but merely a self-serving "girls power" treatise that has obvious goals outside of an honest discourse.

Since Mundy makes clear she is interested in a fun, imagination of dealing with beta males in the New Way, lets enjoy some more of her musings.

- Women did not really need men in pre-history, because they brought in equal amounts of calories to the table in the form of gathering.

-Women are better at school because it requires "sitting, writing, and talking"

- Women must find new qualities to be attracted to in men because they are not alpha anymore. "He was doing a great job of getting them off the bus and packing lunches!"

- "high earning women will have the sex they want, will look the way they want, not the way their boyfriends want them to look. If men want to date these women, it's the men who will have to watch what they eat and how much they weigh and what they look like"

Women's Future

- "at the end of the workday, wives will come home to find the house clean and dinner cooked, and they will relax and enjoy the company of their family over a game of Uno and braving drink of their favorite alcoholic beverage"

- "Men will feel liberated and enlarged. Those who hate office politics and competitive alpha posturing won't have to put up with it........Husbands who help will be considered widely desirable"

What if the sex is bad? Go out and find a man who LOOKS conventionally manly. If you let him shovel snow and chop wood, he will retain just enough alpha energy to bed you with the vim and vigor required of a Queen. Now, without holding back any longer, I must admit that this book is pure rubbish. I would be worried if this male-female dynamic was actually expanding, but we know that these notions are obviously flawed to the point of farce. I hope that you may come to a similar conclusion through my quotes, because reading the book is not recommended in this short time we occupy on this Earth.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2012, 9:42:11 PM PDT
They should ask not only "was this review helpful?" but "did it make you laugh?" Yes to both.

Rating a book is a something of a game. I gave "Richer Sex" five stars in the hopes there would be a dialog. Turned out in this case that the dialog attached itself to a one-star review by Thomas Cruz.

I write for my own pleasure on these topics - see "catalog of curmudgeonly views" on my web site. In this connection, my daughter sent me a link to some amazing research on rats which anticipated by fifty years what we are seeing in human society as we move to crowded cities. Google "john b calhoun will wiles"

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012, 6:56:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012, 6:57:14 AM PDT
N. Allen says:
Rats study is very interesting. Like Calhoun, I believe we should not embrace the pessimistic interpretation of the study as inevitable. However, it gives new insight on the failures laden in the urban design for poverty groups.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012, 8:50:02 PM PDT
J says:
"- Women must be more vigilant when, after they kick men out after sex, the men tend to be clingy"

Ho-LEE Eff! Wow. THAT'S how I know this book is rubbish.

Does this author even know a thing about natural selection, and what it's done to the male and female brain? This is a process that has been going on for millions upon millions of years....yet this woman is convinced that a few years of men losing their jobs because of the recession, and the fact that the education system has been stacked against boys will completely flip our brains around? Haha. Ok. Right!

Thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013, 12:20:22 AM PDT
reader says:
Some men DO tend to be clingy after sex.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2015, 11:17:59 PM PDT
MagicSinglez says:
I'm not sure it's our wiring. . but, like you, I don't think things will flip around. Women refuse to marry down. They won't support someone else, other than perhaps, their children. And that is debatable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2015, 1:34:28 AM PDT
J says:
My mother was quite the fighter for my siblings and myself after our father died before any of us had reached adulthood, so I grew up assuming this was the norm. I should have taken the life of my mom's own mother into consideration (a terrible woman which my mother still has enough heart to look after now in her old age), because as I've matured and gotten to know a variety of people, I've seen how terrible many mothers are. Their children come second...if they're lucky. If a new boyfriend of such a mother, for example, sees the children as dead weight, then they're in for hell.

I've grown less surprised as I continue to hear news reports of children which are abused or even killed by the boyfriends of such mothers, as the mothers do nothing to stop it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›