52 of 59 people found the following review helpful
The Comical Journalist
, May 13, 2012
This review is from: The Richer Sex: How the New Majority of Female Breadwinners Is Transforming Sex, Love and Family (Hardcover)
In the Era of Women, citizens might expect incisive and insightful works from our nation's thinkers as we explore the impact of the efforts of the past 40 years. Unfortunately, if we praise Mundy's Richer Sex, we would be doing ourselves a disfavor. Mundy profiles the "new way" of a new prime time character, the beta boyfriend, one who is no match for the high powered, high earning woman that is continuing the ascent to power. Most of the book outlines the path to glory for women who must deftly navigate the treacherous seas that is the scorned and fallen man. What Mundy fails to realize is that she ironically does nothing else than write this new woman as the "man" of yesteryear.
In true sociological fashion, Mundy gains the meat for her book in a series of interviews. However, we are missing the point of view of men who may be dissatisfied with their new role as homemakers and of course those who have nothing in common with the new dynamic. Mundy acknowledges two types: the straying males, who without the need to work, spend their days out cheating on their breadwinners, and the good boys, who creatively devise new ways to feel whole without the mythical "male" power. "Cinderella has been rewritten," she claims, as men need to get married to pull themselves out of destitution... seriously? With quotes like this, we become immediately aware that this is no book of cold, intellectual exploration, but merely a self-serving "girls power" treatise that has obvious goals outside of an honest discourse.
Since Mundy makes clear she is interested in a fun, imagination of dealing with beta males in the New Way, lets enjoy some more of her musings.
- Women did not really need men in pre-history, because they brought in equal amounts of calories to the table in the form of gathering.
-Women are better at school because it requires "sitting, writing, and talking"
- Women must find new qualities to be attracted to in men because they are not alpha anymore. "He was doing a great job of getting them off the bus and packing lunches!"
- "high earning women will have the sex they want, will look the way they want, not the way their boyfriends want them to look. If men want to date these women, it's the men who will have to watch what they eat and how much they weigh and what they look like"
- Women must be more vigilant when, after they kick men out after sex, the men tend to be clingy
- "at the end of the workday, wives will come home to find the house clean and dinner cooked, and they will relax and enjoy the company of their family over a game of Uno and braving drink of their favorite alcoholic beverage"
- "Men will feel liberated and enlarged. Those who hate office politics and competitive alpha posturing won't have to put up with it........Husbands who help will be considered widely desirable"
What if the sex is bad? Go out and find a man who LOOKS conventionally manly. If you let him shovel snow and chop wood, he will retain just enough alpha energy to bed you with the vim and vigor required of a Queen. Now, without holding back any longer, I must admit that this book is pure rubbish. I would be worried if this male-female dynamic was actually expanding, but we know that these notions are obviously flawed to the point of farce. I hope that you may come to a similar conclusion through my quotes, because reading the book is not recommended in this short time we occupy on this Earth.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?