Lyft Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 4, 2011
I won this book off of a GoodReads giveaway. I was interested in this book because I had heard that the show "Suburgatory" was based off of it. (Note: I haven't watched Suburgatory yet, but have heard from others that have watched it that it was a really funny show.) Linda Erin Keenan does address the show version in the introduction stating that while some of the plot of the tv show is similar to the book, the show concentrates on a teenage girl while the book concentrates on a woman.

This book is in the form of a newspaper, with four different types of formats to the articles; regular newstories, Shout-Outs (op-eds), an advice column called Dr. Drama, and Paid Advertising Content (which Keenan warns is not actual advertising). These news articles are a satire of Keenan's own experiences as a city girl moved to the suburbs to raise her son. This book kind of reminded me of The Onion, also Stephen Colbert came to mind when reading this book (it does touch on some political issues but it is not overtly political).

As a suburbanite this book had me in laughter the whole time. I could definitely relate to some of the stories told. Some of the stories were pretty out there, but they didn't seem all the way unbelievable. There was one story in which I felt a little uncomfortable about. It was the one titled "Boy Loves Steve Jobs More than Parents". I understand that this was probably written before Steve Jobs died but I just felt as though it was too close to his death.

After reading this book I am ready to hang out in the IKEA, recite Eye of the Tiger, and go to a restaurant that refuses to tell my any nutrition information. If you love satire, you'll love this book.
What's this?