Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 12, 2009
NO FEAR.

That pretty well sums up my feelings about the Microspikes. I live in a mostly civilized suburb 25 miles north of Minneapolis, MN. We have had a good share of mixed winter weather this year - snow, snow/rain mix, rain - that has left the roads and sidewalks treacherous because of the ice.
I have used YakTrax for years and, in this weather, powerwalking during the winter always leaves my legs stiff because I have to continually be on the watch for ice patches on which the YakTrax are useless. Exercise was not fun. And I kept ruining the YakTrax on the dry stretches of pavement that I could not avoid.
The morning of January 11, 2009 was a perfect day to test the Microspikes that arrived the day before. A 1 1/2" covering of light fluffy snow the previous night had hidden everything, thus making any walking potentially dangerous. It only took 1/2 mile of walking to realize that the Microspikes (with an assist from gravity) securely locked me to the surface of the planet. I felt that I was walking on completely dry pavement during the summer (except, of course, for the dastardly wind chill).
The Microspikes are well worth the money.
96 helpful votes