Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movies ruined by terrible packaging AGAIN., September 20, 2012
This review is from: Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Raiders of the Lost Ark / Temple of Doom / Last Crusade / Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Yes, it's finally out!! Been waiting so long! But... Not sure if everyone else is oblivious to the risk of this collection but read on...

What is seriously going on with the execs who make the decisions for these long awaited collections? Is it a conspiracy for companies to give us bad packaging in hopes we ruin the product in hopes we buy it again after we ruin them over a long period? I'm not a movie troller who hates movies and Indiana Jones is one of the greatest franchises ever, I'm just fed up with these horrible packaging ideas. Basically the Indiana Jones Adventures is in identical packaging to the Clint Eastwood collection which was one of the worst packaging ideas ever. Here's the main issue, these treasured movies are stuffed in between two pieces of hard abrasive cardboard. In order to pull a movie out, you have to grab both sides of the disc right near the edge, immediately putting finger prints on the information side of the disc. Not to mention pulling it out on the bare cardboard as it's packed in so tight. Do this over a period of time, you're asking for trouble. Even trouble, i noticed a tiny 2cm scratch on Raiders the FIRST time I pulled it out from rubbing against the cardboard. Mind you, these blu ray discs can withstand scratches, but how much and for how long do you want to chance it? It's packed in so tight, it's just bound to happen when one day you're gonna freeze up thanks to a nice scratch from your case. IF you buy this collection which I still say you should, just take them out safely as you can and store them in a regular DVD Case. A major pain and yes, the case is basically worthless and nice to look at, but don't risk it if you want to savior this collection that is wonderful if you can salvage it before ruining it. Some people have said squeeze the cardboard to loosen and wait for it to fall out, I did try this on Raiders and temple and the disc did not move

If you want to know about the movies, on how they look, I actually think the older movies look even better than Skulls. Obviously the first 3 classics got the most love. Skulls is inferior, so we know why though. The extras are great, a nice documentary of watching Raiders with lots of deleted scenes and lost footage is an amazing find. Bonus materials are amazing! Just be really careful taking these movies out of the cases. Feel free to use Crystal Skulls as a coffee cup holder. ;)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 9:42:52 AM PDT
My review of the Clint Eastwood collection made strong points about the terrible packaging. Very sorry to hear that it is the same case for the Indy films. I wonder if there would be enough room in the package to place the DVDs in those paper/plastic protectors that are used for DVDs and CDs. That would solve the cardboard abrasiveness issue

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:03:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 1:04:56 PM PDT
It's odd how people are polar opposites. I always gravitate to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull first (which I happened to be doing just now, when I decided to check out the Blu-ray edition). Next I gravitate to Last Crusade, followed by Raiders, and finally Temple of Doom (which I enjoy but it's kind of intense with the drinking blood from a human skull at one point).

I bought the Star Wars Blu-ray set and it has similar packaging. If you remove it carefully and do not touch the cardboard sleeve, which is slick, I do not believe scratching will ever occur. However, if you have kids that are pulling these discs out, or you're one of those who watches the movies constantly (I see them every few years), then there's a potential wear issue (in which case, your advice to move them into jewel cases is sound). I personally like the book format of the new Star Wars movies where the discs are stored in a bound book. Space is at a premium at my house. The quality is outstanding IMO, but it's not wasteful packaging with plastic. Again, it depends on the frequency of use and who exactly is using it.

As a collector, I happen to know how to handle these things and they remain brand new looking. Washed, dry hands is critical. Patience and slow execution of removal of disc. The tradeoff is environmentally friendly, attractive and space-economical packaging. If you're a klutz then forget it, you'll eventually wear down the slick cardboard the discs rest upon (and friction then takes over, degrading the discs at an accelerated rate as they slide in/out of the package).

I guess that I'm writing this because all negative reviews, even Star Wars, seem to gravitate toward this issue. I think you might be one of the few that watches these films incessantly, and could use some heavy-duty packaging. My suggestion is to save the original packaging in a gallon ziplock baggie, so if you ever sell it or give it away as a gift, you can place the discs you store in jewel cases back into this original packaging. Many collectors want this packaging in pristine condition (provided you keep the discs that way as well).

Cheers. Now to go and watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on DVD, while I wait for my Blu-ray set to ship. Cate Blanchett's role as a Russian operative during the Indy era is the comic relief frosting on the cake to this last of the Indiana Jones films. :)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:10:54 AM PST
Brett Simon says:
The cardboard sleeves do sure seem to be the "in" thing these days. I always feel like I'm gonna damage my James Bond movies when I go through the struggle of pulling them out. It's also the same on Alien Anthology.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:59:48 AM PST
Byrdman says:
Why not make your own cover, then put it in a BD case? VERY simple (Covers Paradies has what most anyone would ever want)! Then put away the package in a safe place. I also own over 2,000 CDs and those that I receive in Digi-packs, I scan and make the covers, then safely put away the digi in case I ever want to re-sell. I also put all my music DVDs/BDs in CD jewel cases with front, back, inside & inlay covers for easy storage.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:04:38 PM PST
Blu-ray discs are practically scratch proof, it's dvds you got worry about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:07:57 PM PST
Any disc, BR or SD, or CD can easily be scratched by improper handling. Not sure where you heard that one is more prone than the other. Just handle the disc by the edges and there should never be an issue. Do not leave discs out of their cases when not in use as settling dust when wiped off can also causes scratches.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:24:06 PM PST
T. Wald says:
Actually, Melissa is on the right track. They are not as easily scratched as DVD or CD. They have a protective coating that protects them better. Google "Durabis" and go from there. That doesn't mean you can't scratch a BD, in fact, if you do it's likely that you have ruined the disc.

Backing up movies you already own is a great way to keep the originals in good shape.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:42:54 PM PST
I just add a review on Alien Anthology for the same reason. Thanks for the review. I will stay with the DVDs until every victim is suck-out of their blood. Then I will buy the lowered priced versions with a more decent packaging.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 2:58:41 PM PST
Live and learn. Thanks for the info. Never the less, no one handles my discs but me and have never had a scratch.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:50:46 PM PST
Instead of putting the discs in another Blu-ray case you can buy some of those round-bottom, mini-LP CD sleeves and then you can slide the discs in and out of the original box sleeves easier, without risking scratching them, although it is still a ridiculously tight fit. The nylon(?) sleeves look much like the sleeves that LP records (remember those?) originally were shipped in. Note: I am not referring to those ubiquitous paper sleeves with a cellophane-covered window, although they might be better than nothing, if they fit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›