Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

1,539 of 1,650 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Perfection!, August 27, 2010
This review is from: VideoSecu ML531BE TV Wall Mount for most 22"-55" LED LCD Plasma Flat Screen Monitor up to 88 lb VESA 400x400 with Full Motion Swivel Articulating 20 in Extension Arm, HDMI Cable & Bubble Level WP5 (Electronics)
*UPDATE 11-10-11* Apparently the design and sale of this mount has changed since my original review. It's now easier to install, and comes with an HDMI cable and level. Otherwise, most of my review still stands.

I was planning to make my own TV mount because all the affordable ones were so cheaply made. That was until I stumbled on this one for $25.

Wow, was I surprised when it arrived! Very nicely double-boxed and packaged extremely well. Then the construction is quality all the way, right down to the chrome-plated nuts, screws and bushings. This mount was manufactured and boxed as if it were a high-dollar item.

It only took about 15 minutes to have my 37" LG firmly hanging on the wall. Oh, and I did it all by myself.

I can't comment on the mount-to-TV screws because my LG already provided them. And I did use my own 5/16" flat washers on 2 of the lag screws since none were included, but that's just my preference.

I highly recommend this mount, I would have been happy to pay double for such quality.

Now, as usual, many of the reviews here are misleading:

*Dismiss all reviews that talk about adjacent studs, or difficulties getting screws to grab at an angle. This thing BOLTS TO A SINGLE WALL STUD VERY EASILY! Just like what's shown on the instruction sheet, you simply screw 3 of the lag screws down the center of the mount. That's all that's needed, the other holes are just a bonus for more complicated setups. DO NOT PUT 6 OR 7 LAGS INTO A STUD! You will probably shred or weaken it. Crash goes your TV while ripping a chunk of 2x4 through your drywall.

*Dismiss the reviews that mention short lag screws. They are 2", that's a depth of almost 1 1/2" into the stud after going through 1/2" drywall and the mount. If you drilled roughly 3/16" to 1/4" diameter pilot holes and didn't over-tighten your lags, it should be fine. I've mounted mine twice now, using the same (provided) lags.

*I have no idea where this review came from that complains about an adjustment knob getting in the way. My mount doesn't have any kind of knob on it whatsoever, perhaps they are commenting on a different model. There's a tilt adjustment, but it uses a wrench and doesn't protrude anywhere. The ONLY BAD PART I'VE FOUND is that cheap stamped sheet-metal wrench to tighten the tilt mechanism. No problem, I just used my own 13mm wrench instead.

*Yes, the mount can be somewhat stiff. Like another reviewer stated, just lubricate it. I used a few drops of 3-In-1 Oil in the joints.

*And bad reviews from people who didn't research or check to see if their TV or monitor is VESA compliant. That also includes the ones who didn't check to see if the mounting plate will block off their inputs. The plate is about 8 1/2" square, it shouldn't be that hard to see if you'll have a conflict. Besides, in the description it says, "Please make sure what mount your TV needs before you place order. If you are not sure, please send us a message. We will check for you." So they are giving a nice product bad reviews because they simply didn't read the description.

*Then all the complaints of trying to hold the TV to the mount while installing the screws. If you look at the pictures on Amazon you'll see the center screw hole is a "keyhole".

1. Hold the mount to the wall and mark the 3 hole locations on the wall. On the center keyhole you want to only mark the narrow slot at the top.

2. Drill (3) 3/16" holes.

3. Install center screw into the stud, but leave a small gap between the head and the drywall, you can even use the mount to test whether the slot in the "keyhole" passes behind the head.

4. Lay your TV face-down on a safe place like a mattress or a table with a comforter over it. Place the mount over the back of the TV and install screws.

5. Position the mount so the wall mounting plate is reasonably close to the TV and as close to center as possible, and simply hang it on the wall to the center lag screw through the keyhole. That should help with the weight while you screw the top lag in, then the bottom. Don't tighten anything completely until all 3 screws are in, then make sure it's level or plumb.

That's it. This is an inexpensive, very well built product that solves a simple problem. I'll be ordering more for my PC monitors and future customers ASAP.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2010 1:16:45 PM PDT
John Prior says:
This review answered many questions especially the one concerning the single stud mounting. I had made up my mind that I was going to use only the 3 holes in the middle now I read that someone had acutually did it as well. Very well written. Good job.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 8:20:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010 8:25:29 PM PDT
Brianstech says:
Well thank you.

I'm just responding now to re-confirm how well this mount is built. I constantly reposition my TV to where I'm sitting, or my guests. It still works very well.

I stand by my earlier statement, it would be a great deal at $50 even though I paid half of that. In this day and age it's hard to find products with such quality for so little money. I'm very happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 4:39:43 AM PDT
John Prior says:
I am awaiting my mount as this time. Due mainly to your very informative review I feel satisfied that I made the right choice. I tend to read reviews with a grain of salt but some just seem to be sincere. Yours was one of them.

John Youngstown, Ohio

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 4:42:37 PM PDT
Brianstech says:
Okay, one last post from me. I feel the need to mention oiling the joints. Originally I just loosened them with the allen wrenches because they were stiff. Later that day I used the aforementioned 3-in-1 Oil, and re-snugged them. That keeps the whole assembly rigid while still allowing movement. Don't lose those chrome plated allen wrenches, you might need to readjust it again someday.

Then keeping the wires tamed is simple with 2 long zip ties. One at the joint on the wall, the other in the center joint. I have 3 HDMI's coming from computers and the cable box, then a cable for QAM channels, stereo audio line from a PC, then a Toslink (fiber optic cable) out to my 5.1 receiver. It's nice to have them all contained.

Brian from Warren

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:33:07 PM PST
lonnie305 says:
Very well written and explained!! I plan on purchasing this for my daughter's room. I want this specifically for the swivel feature when she moves about her room. Thank you!!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 8:02:29 AM PST
Just want to say thankyou for the time and effort you put in to this review. I feel well informed and educated after reading it.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 3:15:49 PM PST
thanks for the directions, you are spot on. I had that up and hung a 32" tv in about 15-20 minutes. Only thing id probably add is this process would be much easier with a second set of hands to help hold your tv while you fasten in the 3 bolts to the wall.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 2:42:23 PM PDT
Thanks for taking the time to write a very informative review, and to respond to the misinformation in some of the critical reviews. I was concerned that given the price the quality would be subpar. Nice to receive input from an experienced expert.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 6:45:41 PM PDT
GTK says:
An excellent, informative review. Many thanks for taking the time/trouble.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 5:27:54 PM PDT
J. Chilton says:
Thank you very much! I followed your instructions to the letter and all worked out great. The only problem that I ran into was the metal backing that attached to my TV also blocked the power outlet on my TV. No problem as I just used a vise grip to pull back the metal a little bit and all is good.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›