Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 24, 2008
I liked this book very much. It's the second book written by this author I have read. And I cannot praise it enough. The topic: Angel investing and angel investors - the inside scoup. The book has 231 pages and 12 chapters. I urge you to examine the Search Inside material provided by Amazon so you can study the book's Table of Contents.

Each chapter has a "Key Facts to Remember" section just before an end-of-chapter "In Conclusion" section. I found the chapter titles to be very helpful in telling me what the book was about. But I also got lots of insight into the contents of the chapters by reading the key facts and conclusion sections. This book was really easy to read as a result.

If I had one gripe with the book I felt as though the author was arguing many of his points rather than simply stating them as facts. I don't think the book needed as much argumentative prose as it included. I agree with everything the author says about the nature and reality of angel investors and angel investing. But he could have been a little more succinct in his presentation of his points.

I've read a few books that talk a little about angel investors and investing. But there are only two I think are worth mentioning besides this one. The first is the original Rich Dad Poor Dad book. The "rich dad" refered to in that book was an angel investor. And many of the lessons Robert Kyosaki talks about in the Rich Dad books are a result of what he learned from that angel investor. Kyosaki says that angels have to be accredited investors. The instant book being reviewed says they don't. My understanding is angels only have to be accredited investors if you market your business as an investment to them. It's the act of marketing that forces the necessity of the angel to be accredited. But that's just my understanding of the subject.

The other book I read where angel money came into play was Maxine Clark's "The Bear Necessities of Business." Part of her seed money came from an angel she knew. She didn't market her idea to get money - so she didn't have to expect the angel to be an accredited investor. I think the angel investor who sunk money into Ms. Clark's venture qualified to be an accredited investor though.

The main point I got from this book is that angels don't provide all that much capital for start-ups or small companies. They are not like venture capitalists for the most part. And they certainly are not an easy group of individuals or companies to find and/or get hold of. On top of all this, there is a ton of misinformation in print and online about angel investors and investing. My recommendation: get a copy of this book to get the best picture possible of what angels are all about and whether you might be able to use one in your company's financial needs. 5 stars!
9 helpful votes