Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on June 14, 2007
Since I own both this Kuhn Rikon and the Rosle garlic presses, I have posted this comparison on the Rosle reviews, as well:

There's no doubt that the Rosle is extremely good--in fact, I would have given it five stars just a few weeks ago. But then I purchased the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press (#2315), after reading a recent review of it in Cook's Illustrated. After repeatedly comparing the two side-by-side, the Kuhn is unquestionably the better press. It was also about $8 cheaper here on Amazon, but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer--in any event, I didn't consider price for this review.

What's strange is that the crushing mechanisms on both presses appear to be identical. In fact, prior to crushing with the Kuhn, I felt disappointed when I received it, convinced that I had just bought the same garlic press twice. However, for whatever reason (and it remains a mystery to me), the Kuhn's crushing of garlic is clearly superior in two ways: 1) It produces a more beautifully consistent mince of the garlic, whereas the result from the Rosle seems more "smashed" by comparison. The difference isn't subtle--I was honestly shocked by it. 2) The pressing is more complete, with less left behind in the hopper, and it presses unpeeled garlic better, as well. (That said, I get a much better press from either unit with peeled cloves.)

Ergonomically, the shape of the Kuhn also handles better, although I never had a problem with the Rosle. And I'd say both units have stainless steel construction of equally high quality. For me, it was the crushing performance and not the handling that has sadly relegated my Rosle to the drawer, since I now always reach first for the Kuhn.

UPDATE 6/11: After four years of regular use, this press continues to perform like new, so I can now add a 5 star recommendation for long-term durability, too. Unless this Kuhn Rikon somehow finds its way under a steamroller, I suspect it's the last garlic press that I'll ever have to buy. I'm baffled by the occasional complaint here that this press is hard to clean as it could hardly be any easier. Besides the handles, there are only two other parts to this unit: the mesh steel hopper through which the clove is pressed and the steel "presser" itself. As can be seen in one of the customer photos posted, both of those parts swing out (easily) from the handles, allowing you to simply rinse them clean under the faucet.

UPDATE 3/13: I've noticed a few recent comments to this review that criticize the supposed small capacity of this press, with one person stating that it doesn't even fit one large clove. Well, that may be true if you're trying to press elephant garlic, or harvesting your garlic on the grounds of a nuclear site. For the record, the hopper measures 1.5 inches long X .75 inches wide X 1 inch deep. This is also the identical size of the hopper in the Rosle garlc press. I have never encountered a clove it couldn't handle, and I usually press more than one at a time.

Best-selling author Tim Ferriss, who wrote last year's amazing The Four Hour Chef, had this to say about the Kuhn: " I've always hated dealing with garlic until I found the Kuhn Rikon Epicurion Garlic Press. It's expensive as s*** and it's amazing. You don't have to peel the garlic and it's the easiest thing in the world to clean."
2727 comments| 1,003 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)