Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Storytelling, December 12, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Keep in mind this is not Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Call of Duty or Donkey Kong Country. The game itself is more of a story that at brief times drags but overall is very compelling till the end. Characters that draw you in and cause you to care and by that I mainly mean Clementine the little girl. I think if you have kids you will see where the draw will come from to keep that little girl safe. So if you wanna kick the crap out of zombies or hi jack cars there are games for that. I don't want to go into a spoilers review since there will be plenty of those to come soon. If you know what this game is and how it all plays I think you will enjoy it but if you aren't sure just download the demo.

I am one of those people that prefers disc over digital downloads so I had to pick this version up. Story wise the game is very strong and engrossing but will be over before you know it so its best to get drawn in since the story is what will pull you in. Sometimes you think you made a difference in the story only to find it really doesn't matter by the end with how the game wraps up or certain scenes play out. Such as early on you may decide to save a certain character only to have them die no matter what kind of hurts the game since its so much about choice. Then again it also shows that no matter what decisions you make certain things will happen and some you can't prevent. To me the end of the game kind of had be Mass Effect 3'd but it didn't kick me in the groin and rip me apart. The end of the fourth episode was no surprise since I saw it coming but the end of the fifth I felt closed too fast. It had an emotional draw and I wish they would of drug out the ending moments with the characters a little longer.

Gameplay is hit and miss since there overall isn't much of it which is a shame since to me is when the most intense moments occur. By that I mean the action scenes of course when you have to make some button presses to get out of a zombie eating your face but I think action fans may find it lacking in this category. It feels very fitting of the game I believe but some will come away with a feeling of disappointment. The puzzle parts are quite easy and you can run from place to place really quick since most are simply move certain things around or getting other things. Then again when having to make quick decisions in a limited time is also stressing not knowing if the outcome will be good or ill.

Graphics are nice with a comic book cell shade color to it with fits it perfectly. The characters look great and it fits the world and everything has a murky sense to it. Sometimes you may see a scene that looks like a painting or something but overall it looks great. The sound is typical of the genre but the actual music is fantastic and moving at times and really shows in intense moments.

Controls are good and the interface is very easy to get the hang of and especially the quick time events. It is relatively easy to pick up on but one thing you will notice is that the game often has hiccups after actions or certain clips. Overall its very tight and easy to get use to but if you are familiar with this game company you will know what to expect. Its not like you will smash your controller in frustration or anything but the game isn't godly perfection. Most interactions are point and click when your characters are near a object so don't expect some level of interaction thats gonna blow you away.

Though the game had me wondering why it went in certain directions I never let it deter me. I know I like certain episodes better than others and looked at my watch in disbelief at how fast I ran through some. With that said this game had me from start to finish and it's been a delight seeing how everything played out. The story is one of the few games that has really drawn me in and caused an emotional stir. I didn't cry or anything but my heart strings were continually played on. I have this weird thing that I find it hard to be the bad guy or callous jerk in the games I play so it really had me wanting my characters to live on. The game closes with a cliff hanger though I didn't like Lee's fate it told his story very well. If you look at it as Lee's Tale you won't be to surprised with the end.

The game is around ten hours but odds are you can run through in a lot less time. My advice is just enjoy it and enjoy the fact that a company made a game that wasn't a FPS or RPG but a story driven game that will leave you wanting Season 2 quick. I think its worth a play just to see if you like it or not but I know it is simply not going to be for everyone. I think this will be a game people talk about for years to come like a Mass Effect or Harold Eats A Ham Sandwich, its just one of those games I think people will want to talk about. Hope you enjoy as well.

[Add comment]