Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 10, 2007
I'm kind of a weirdo.

My wife and I went on a trip for our anniversary to a Bed and Breakfast in Thomasville, GA. We just stayed in the room and read the whole time. I read this book in about 1 day.

I have to say that I was more than a little surprised at how good a book it was. I've read other books in the Philosophy and Popular Culture series, but was expecting this one to be kind of lame. Star Wars is my favorite movie series of all time, and I find that it's easy for someone commenting on or writing about the series to provoke my ire. (Dorks hate it when other people get their life's obsession wrong.)

I am by no means a great mind. But I do enjoy the notion that Plato put forth that one cannot avoid popular culture, and it is better to teach by popular examples than by those examples that no one will understand. As a result, I say that this series is a good one if you want to get acquainted with philosophy in a "friendlier" setting than a classroom, though the average reader will still have to think more deeply than they usually do.

Which is why this is a good book. It's an introduction to critical thinking about philosophy. It causes you to question the nature of good and evil. (ie..The notion of Lying Jedi and Truthful Sith). And again, all of it is heavier thinking than the average movie watching TV viewer is used to doing, but it's worth it. It can open your eyes to philosophical notions that you hadn't really fathomed before. (ie...There is a wonderful article on Stoicism as represented by Yoda. I had no idea that stoicism was a philosophical movement, I just thought it described a certain quality. And even that was the vaguest of notions.)

There were certain aspects (philosophical not stylistic) of the book that I didn't really care for, understand fully, or agree with. But to be fair, the editor also put a note in the introduction saying that he didn't really agree with everything in it either. It does, after all, cover a wide berth of philosophical issues. No one can possibly agree with all philosophies.

So if you are like me, and probably watch too much TV, but occasionally let slip the surly bonds of your couch and reach out to learn something new, this is the book for you.
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)