Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduction To Post-Pasteurianism, May 14, 2012
This review is from: The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from around the World (Hardcover)
First off: this book is beautiful. Hardcover, with a series of full-color plates 1/3rd and 2/3rds through. For only twice the price of a flimsy paperback, you're investing in five hundred solidly-constructed pages that will last.

And a good thing, because this book is destined to be a classic.

You don't need to have read Katz' other work, Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods, to understand, appreciate, and use this book - it stands alone. If you already own Wild Fermentation, don't be put off by the duplication of some recipes in the Table of Contents. Yes, sauerkraut, kimchi, and pickles are in here, but every section is greatly expanded with much more information and many more references. (Ever thought of using a layer of cooking oil as an airlock? Neither had I, but I'm going to try it!)

Speaking of references... the Resources, Glossary, and Works Cited chapters could keep you busy for a few years.

And yes: you will use this book. As Michael Pollan states in the well-written foreword, this is not one of those cookbooks you buy for the nice pictures and keep on your coffee table. This is a project manual. Fermentation is something you have to experience to understand, and Katz give you absolutely everything you need to get started. The first 67 pages are devoted entirely to the beginner, focusing not on specific recipes but on answering the inevitable questions: "WHY would I want to ferment food? is it safe? what equipment and general expertise do I need?"

Again from Pollan: "Katz writes about the transformative power of fermentation with such infectious enthusiasm that he makes you want to try things just to see what happens." This is so true. Even if you don't initially intend to, many of these 'recipes' are so simple and unintimidating (hard apple cider, mead, sauerkraut and its derivatives, sourdough) that it's hard to resist the urge to pick up a box of Mason jars and some fresh produce the next time you're at the grocery store. Many of us are experimenters at heart, and fermentation is the perfect mix of art and science to tap into this nature and inspire all kinds of crazy projects.

Already the neighborhood King of Kraut? I guarantee that this book will still have something for you. Chapter 12 - "Fermenting Meat, Fish, and Eggs" isn't enough? Turn to Chapter 13, for a short but serious discussion of what it takes to turn a fermentation hobby into a small business. Notes about scaleup, HACCP plans, and licensing are cool to read about, though I have no plans to open a tempeh factory anytime soon. Or how about Chapter 14 - "Non-Food Applications of Fermentation"? Again, I don't live on a farm, but it is neat to read about compost, silage, and bioremediation. (Surprise: Katz doesn't buy into corn ethanol biofuels)

While this is by no means a biology textbook, the scientific content is much improved over Wild Fermentation. Chapter 1 - "Fermentation as a Coevolutionary Force" is, in general, accurate and well-referenced. Katz is not a formally-trained scientist, but he does not shy away from technical details when they are helpful for understanding, and he shows respect for the scientific method and its results. See, for instance, his discussion of 'homofermentative' and 'heterofermentative' organisms in vegetable fermentation (pg 96), or of commercial starter cultures (pg 132).

If you subsist on white bread and margarine and bleach your cutting boards after every use, fermentation may not be the hobby for you. The first time I skimmed some strangely-textured yeast off of a crock of fermenting beets, I have to admit I was a little skeptical what those beets would look like when I pulled them out (they were absolutely delicious). While some of my more imaginative fermentation adventures have yielded delicious results, a few have been downright terrible (yep, ate them anyway!). If you don't see any issue with carving a bit of mold off some cheese or a piece of fruit instead of throwing it out, then you probably have what it takes.

Many (most?) of the poor reviews on Wild Fermentation are from people taking issue with Katz' lifestyle or philosophies. Many of his philosophical discussions in this book are backed up with hard science and references, so even those who found Wild Fermentation to be overbearing may find this new book to be more palatable. If you have some problem with the fact that Katz has HIV (he states this outright in the new book, and includes a sidebar about how fermented foods may be helpful but they are not a disease cure), do the rest of us a favor and keep it to yourself.

I've been experimenting with fermentation for about a year, relying mostly on Wild Fermentation and a substantial collection of online resources. I've only had this book for a week, and I've already had tons of fun and learned a lot. When I'm finished with my read-through, this book will definitely be making its rounds among my friends. A great reference and a worthwhile investment - highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2012 10:21:10 AM PDT
M. Brooks says:
Brandon, thank you for this succinct review. Every time I year some high-brow author criticising the reviews on amazon, I think of reviews like yours and am reminded of how valuable this process is. I love reading and using cookbooks of all kinds, especially ones that teach me something new. I'm eager to try this one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 12:27:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 12:28:07 PM PDT
I'm glad you found my review useful! Enjoy!

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 9:21:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 9:21:31 PM PDT
D. Fever says:
Please share a few of your favorite online resources. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:13:15 PM PDT
Rachel Rose says:
Cheers mate, for a very helpful review. I wanted to know how this was different from Wild Fermentation and you told me! I'm off to order it, no need to read anything else about it to be convinced I need and WANT it (and a durable hardbook version too!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:49:29 AM PST
L. McDonald says:
No kidding, this is a terrific review. I so enjoyed your thorough review of my classmate Alex Lewin's fermentation book that I looked up your other ones. I wanted this book already, but your review not only sealed the deal for me, but also made me wish we were kitchen buddies. Good luck with all of your future experiments.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 5:48:50 PM PDT
Somewhat late, but you can find some links at the end of this blog article by Brandon: http://www.andhigherstill.com/2013/05/thrift-is-beautiful-fermentation.html

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 3:25:45 PM PDT
Mark Dalpiaz says:
Great review, you've convinced me!

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 3:51:33 PM PDT
AmazonGirl says:
This review was so helpful in deciding which fermentation book to get, and you also made me realize without a doubt that I should get the hardcover rather than the Kindle version! Thank you!! :)

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 7:57:47 PM PDT
Brushman says:
Thanks, Dad!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:36:16 AM PDT
PT Cruiser says:
Thanks for the great review, Brandon. I just purchased his Wild Fermentation book and am enjoying that so far. Any suggestions on crocks or jars? I'm a huge sauerkraut fan and since it looks easy to start, that will be my first project.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›