Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars AstroBoy is back for a whole new generation!, January 28, 2010
This review is from: Astro Boy (DVD)
Astroboy is an interesting movie. I went and saw this movie a few days after it released in theatres. I kinda remember the cartoon as a kid and this helped to relive those memories. Astroboy is a robot that has superpowers and uses them to save people and the world.

Astroboy is a character that dates back to the 1950's when it was created by Osamu Tezuka. Astro is really well known in Japan and there were several of the cartoon series came here to the United States.

The movie follows the story pretty well but at the same time adds a few new things here and there to not just be a copy and paste kind of story.

There are some spoilers ahead:.......

In the manga (or comic) and now Movie is a boy named Toby who dies in an accident and his father Dr. Tenma builds a robot to be just like Toby. The scene may scare some children that are really young but personally they did it tastefully and there are no gory scenes or anything. (For the parents you see a bright flash and his hat is lying on the ground). Alot of parents were upset by this however many movies made by Disney and so forth have had characters die in their movies constantly but people still praise them.

I suppose since it is a young boy they feel that it should not occur but the producers of the film wanted to keep the orgin of Astro as close as possible.

The movie was pretty well done. There's some drama in along with action and that was pretty good. It helped lead into the action sequences instead of being non-stop action or drama. I liked this film since it was something everyone could enjoy. I went with my mom, dad, and 7 year old niece. She really enjoyed it and the whole family wants it on DVD and blu-ray. I do not remember any bad language as well.
I feel that if people gave Astroboy a chance they will enjoy it. We've watched many kids films like Kung Fu Panda, Monsters Vs Aliens, and so on recently and this was one we all could watch no problem.

The movie looks great but in this day and age it is hard to compete with kids films since many come along on a constant basis. I really enjoy the Pixar films like the Incredibles, Toy Story, etc and I put Astroboy on par with them. I feel that this movie was definitely better than some of the recent kid films.

I also would encourage people if they are interested to check out the cartoons. They are actually pretty good. I bought them since I barely remember them as a kid and I am glad I did. The 80's set is really good. It covers some serious topics while still having that cute appeal for kids. They are on amazon and really inexpensive as well.

I'll attempt to break it down for people.

Pros: 1.Based on a popular character in Japan
2. Something both adults and children can enjoy
3. No bad language and little potty humor (if any)
4. Pretty good voice actors as well.

Cons: 1. Fans of the old cartoons may not like the new look

Hope everyone has a great day!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2010, 7:57:30 PM PDT
Astroboy was first concieved as a comic book character in the early 1940's by it's creator, Osama Tezuka. There was some light anime work done on the subject matter in the 1950's, but the real memorable anime work was done, come around 1963, when Alan Ladd was brought into the picture; as Astro appeared on the new medium called television for the American audience back in those days.

There was another anime series for television created in the early 1980's which lasted for about two years and a series that was released for 2004. The 2004 anime series was the best in terms of color animation and intense action.

Unlike the 1963 series, the 2004 series had a major premise behind it that all the episodes were leading to, where we learn Astro was created to bring peace between the organic world and the synthetic world. This is symbolic of what our world was exposed to, since the first atomic bomb testing in 1948, as man walked into the world of the synthetic meeting the organic. Astro became symbolic of that force being released by man into the world; so the 2004 premise made sense, when you put it all together with man's history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010, 6:53:57 AM PDT
V. Arreola says:
Interesting post. I've seen the 80's remake and 2004 edition.

I like both but I really enjoyed the 80's version. Something about it just takes ya back. Having this cute character deal with struggles was something new for me; plus it was so strange to see characters die in the cartoon. I had shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and such but I don't remember characters dying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010, 11:47:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 6, 2010, 11:57:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010, 12:07:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2010, 12:29:04 PM PDT
I do have the 1980 Astroboy series. I suppose it depends on when you were born and when your childhood took place that makes you all the more choose which one of these series you fall in love with. I take it your childhood was more in the 1980's then? I realize the 1980's version was all in color and the 1963-64 series was black and white.

I also loved the drawing style of the 1960 version better, because the way the line art was done. The line art style was more suggestive of the male personality vs. the 1980 version which had a more feminine base to the style. Astro was a very male based show reflective of its author Osama Tezuka, yet an interview with Osama Tezuka tells us that he made Astro's feet akin to the feminine side he said. He does not say why, but we had entered into a more androgynous side of the human equation back in those days, as something new to mankind was coming into the world, as I look back. I just think here was more maturity drawn into the character line art of the 1960's, than in the 1980's version and as a result, I found the 1980's version a bit on the "cutsy" side of the equation when Astro was rendered, even though the rest was very male in the drawing style.

I'm very male and love watching very male characters, even androgynous male characters that are very male, even if they are pretty to look at. I'm also a sensitive as well. What a combination huh? (As I laugh at myself) The 2004 version was more a combination of the two previous anime television versions: Color and very male in chemistry, even though a female voice was used for Astro. Billy Lou Watt was the voice in the 1960's version; and Candy Milo was the voice used in the 2004 version, as I recall. I never did find out who did the voice for the 1980's Astro because the credits are all in Japanese with minimal translation done to the credits. I still would have perferred hearing a male voice for the 2004 Astro. It makes all the difference, if you are male listening. You can feel the difference in the energy of the voice, if you are someone like me.

I loved David Bowers movie also, so you know I'm not picking on Bowers, because they finally used a real boy's voice for the voice of Astro: Freddie Highmore. Freddie did a nice job with the character. I was not disappointed by his performance, as the voice of Astro. I also loved the live action version of Peter Pan for the same reason; when they used Jeremy Sumpter: Finally a real boy was used in the part of Peter Pan! That changes the chemistry greatly. I'm empathic by nature and can feel the energy that comes off of others, even when watching a film. If the chemistry isn't right in the casting, it throws me off and may make me hate something I would otherwise like, if it had been done correctly with stuff like that.

I did love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Very sexy and militant in terms of the battles portrayed in those episodes and let's face it, these shows have to have sex appeal, as well as be interesting at the spiritual story level. You see the same thing in drawing renderings connected to the writings of Krishna, as God, where Krishna is very male, very "pretty", but very appalled by any form of sin. Some of the old paintings connected to that faith are very sexy to look at, in spite of the religious significance behind their use. We see that also in Bowers Astroboy and especially the 2004 series version. The animators always make Astro "pretty" which is attractive to the eye, in spite of the violence level. Sex and violence are always key elements to successful novels and movies, you no doubt know, even when it comes to children's shows. Face it, we are all sexual beings and social beings by nature. Children know this more so than adults do I've learned from all the children I've met in my life, both in my youth and even as a mature adult when I listen to kids speak.

Even when I was taking creative writing classes at Loyola University of Westchester, some 35 years ago, our teachers taught us that to make any story a commercial saleable product, you need sex, violence and money as the foundation of your plot line, if you wanted to sell to Hollywood. That formula hasn't changed, because behind you and I is a new generation being born all the time; who knows nothing about these plot lines. So the same wheel keeps repeating itself to make money in the commercial market place, in spite of those of us who get tired of it all as we age.

In my day, we did see all the Disney full length movies which were not violence free. I guess you were not allowed to see them in your day? You see death in Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and many other Disney movies. But for television, yes, Astro was really the first anime series to show such violence and battle scenes kids where not use to seeing, which made it all very exciting in terms of being action packed. Normally, you would see all this in comic books when I was a boy and I even loved reading the Astro comic books. Spiderman was my second most favorite hero, but my brother loved Batman and Superman, like most other boys of that time. I was always the weird one in the bunch. (chuckling)

Thank you for taking time to read my comment. I don't always get replys when I comment. I also always repect what others have to say, given each person in life is still growing and learning as they age. Hope you live long and truly prosper in wisdom as you age.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012, 1:09:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012, 8:23:13 PM PDT
Star Bux says:
This would have been ok, save for the scene
where machine guns come out of the back of
his pants... Such humor was absent from old
Daffy Duck cartoons... Ass throw?? Is that not
what some kid will think, and be traumatized?
Horrible humor, if you can call it humor, in my
opinion. His name is ASTRO, and not, "ass throw".

As for the rest of the film, well, I only saw the
Trailer (ad) for this movie. But that scene was
horrible. Engrammatic programming? Are the 2
machine guns supposed to represent "nipples"?
Why would "they" desire to get children to compare
or associate a derrierre with a woman's bosom?
I think because "they" desire to rationalize the
behaviour of sodomites. Apparently, this way sodomites
(ungodly males) can be "turned on" by looking at a woman's
bosom, by pretending it to be somebody's derrierre. And that
is tragically also the kind of mentality that is promoted in
psychology textbooks on adult sexuality... If you do not
believe me, go and browse through a university bookstore.

Why would anybody desire to compare a foot to a hand?
Are these "academics", monkeys? Is a foot to be likened
to a cow's udder? "They" speak of sexuality, but what "they"
desire to promote is behaviour that the Bible (kjv) calls
abomination ("irrational behaviour" does not quite "cover it").
See, Romans 12:9, KJV.

From the trailer : "I got machine guns... in my butt".

A paradox is of two statements, both true, but which appear to
contradict each other. Do not confuse fear with abhorrence.
Fear no evil ; Abhor that which is evil.
See, Psalm 23:4, KJV.

That said, Art is open to subjective interpretation...
So, who knows, perhaps this movie is for you.
But for me, that one line was a "forget this".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012, 8:26:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012, 8:27:00 PM PDT
Star Bux says:
A man's soul is female : See, Psalm 34:2, KJV.

If you grew up, singing, then
you probably damaged
your vocal chords, as have
many males, who sing...

Compare early Bryan Adams, with later Bryan Adams...
So, how do you know how a boy should sound like?
Or a man?

The less coarse language, or poetry you use, the more
masculine you will sound.

But, if you do not believe me,
well, that's OK. You have to do your
own thinking, right?
It's your body, your vocal chords, etc.

More Spock ; Less Kirk.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012, 4:52:42 PM PDT
Star Bux says:
Ummm, I guess if you found yourself in a place called Sodom,
you might hope that your mum (or dad) had sewed machine
guns into the back of your pants... "Stay off my boy's tail"...

That said, one should not be soo paranoid about physical location.
"I'm not leaving my Wing-man".... "Talk to me, Goose.."
For 2 can be in the same room, but be "light-years" apart.
Whereas 2 can be cities apart, yet be "on the same wavelength".

Nevertheless, when the clean beasts went into the Ark that Noah
built, they went in TWO and TWO, the male and its female (like
Ricky and Lucy, and Fred and Ethel, side-by-side : Fm..Mf.
That would be "two pairs" or "four of a kind" and not the 2 of a kind "they"
like to depict in children's bible story books... No wonder a generation
of kids is growing up confused, envying the children of "godly agnostics"...
"So, how did the children of Mr. and Mrs. Bunny find mates?"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012, 6:30:46 PM PDT
Well, another way of looking at the machine guns coming out of Astro's backside is that Dr. Tenma did not want his android son to experience death again, like his human son went through. You might say his dad had his back covered, not so much his backside. Your comment does tell me and others what you are focused on in your own life though, not what the author intended. Your view would be the subject for interesting psychiatric discussion I should think. I never saw Sodom or Gomorrah in the machine guns being in Astro's backside. Some of us just don't think that way, but it does show what you are preoccupied with as you elucidated the images in your comment. I don't' say this to be derogatory either. Each of us are at different levels, even spiritually.

Osamu Tezuka grew up in a time where Buddhist teaching was dominant in his culture and so was the issue of reincarnation. I say it that way, because I was raised Christian Catholic as a boy and with my first death encounter or NDE at age 25, while I met Jesus in death, I asked many question. I not only learned that while Heaven, Hades and Hell are the truth for this planet, the entire universe, on a whole, works from the basis of reincarnation and is alluded to in Holy Scripture. There use to be 107 documents that made up the Bible and were reduced down to 66 after the Church kept editing it down. Edgar Casey stated that this was done, because the issue of reincarnation was slowing down the gospel message. What you will learn what the Bible is really about in death will blow most of you away as I learned.

As a boy, I dreamed of being born as Tobio and being transferred into the Astroboy body in my day dreams. I think most boys of my day who love Astro had similar day dreams of being the amazing Astroboy. This was brought out in some of the characters of the 2004 televion series I noted. As a boy, I saw no difference from an organic machine called human or a synthetic body the soul could live in. I certainly did see the soul and body as separate because of my Bible training. I learned in death that none of us are the body we are in. It is merely a shell for each of us who are fractals of God's being; who came out of the pure ocean of light the whole thing was created out of. Christians call this ocean of light; "The Holy Spirit" I later read one of Edgar Casey's readings were he did a great job describing what I got to see in death and I realize the man had it right, but he was ignored by a Christian world that is ruled more by dogma and theology, than the real truth you'lI see in death.

Kids are confused these days, not because society is confusing them, but because they are coming out of a bubble of lies the Church has been touting, as they even read the Bible and they are finally asking questions the Church has no answers for and never has had answers for. This business of you have to take it in faith does not mean park your brains at the door and not gain the greater understanding our Lord wanted us to learn in life. But how many are brave enough to ask and escape control of the status quo without being disrespectful. At least Martin Luther questioned the Catholic church in his day and in my view, attacked the right things which were never in Christ's heart when it come to imprisoning people to the fear, guilt and shame religion pushes to keep their people under control for the sake of the money. Those questions need to be answered and until they are, more and more will be leaving the Churches looking elsewhere for their answers. It has changed that much since I was a boy back in the 1960's and it is the questioning which also lead to the many divorces of the 1970's which was needed to the greater truths could enter the world in my view of experience over a life time.

I learned God thinks the same way when I did die, but the Christian world is too obtuse in its thinking to see this reality and most who are Christians are surprised to see what death is about when they die or to hear of a life's review when you pass to the other side. The animators did allude to the whole reincarnation issue in the 2004 remake, but kept it to a minimum I noted, because they knew they would be appealing money wise to a heavy Christian audience in the States which the 2004 anime was mainly directed at for the sake of making money from the fans of Astro. Still, by avoiding this issue of Bhuddist teaching, the series floundered in the script development in my view: It closed the door on so many character development issues that could have been explored by the writers on the human condition, whether you believe in reincarnation or not, given your cultural background of course. Just because someone is not Christian does not mean they are going to hell in my experience, but you can't tell the Christian faiths that. The NDE's of those coming back who are from other faiths, but who lived a life of love are proving this out as I've listened to so many testimonies.

This is a different generation from the time Alan Ladd and his group tacked the whole Astroboy series back in the 1960s. There is too much hate in this generation too, especially from the religious it seems. Also in the Bible John 4:16 says; "God is love. He who abides in love, abides in God" When you see what this really means in death, you can understand why others from other faiths are meeting Christ in death. Theology and Dogma are part of the current establishment created over the past 100 years. This was not the case when the gospel was first being spread. It was a simple message about hope and love, not theology. Theology came into the whole thing when the Nicenes and other groups tried to collect the writings of the witnesses who made their historical contribution to capturing the events of history including Christ's death and resurrection which resulted in the book the Chruch entitled "The Holy Bible". Yet the greatest offenders of that passage from John 4:16 are the Christian faiths who have more questions than answers I've learned in over half a century of living, even while participating in all the religious groups before I've age and my health failed. While God requires faith, I did learn in death our Lord does want all of you to know what I was shown, but most of you are not brave enough to face death to see it.

For instance, did you know that the parable of the prodigal son is about us leaving the light or ocean of God's spirit, which is pure light, where heaven is located, coming into the void of space located inside God's being, made of that light, taking on a body, living, then death, then a life's review and then a return to that light? This is what the passage means in the Bible where it says "a man is born once, then to die, then comes the judgment" The only problem with this planet is that while I was shown Lucifer is real, he mixed his judgment into man's ordained path by Christ himself. Edgar Casey had it right too when I found it in his readings which I was delighted to hear when I did find it, after my first NDE. We all were to know many incarnations to this world and all of us are older than this story called mankind I was shown in death. Jesus is pretty cool to meet too and talk with. It does not negate the resurrection when it is time for that to come. I was shown my our Lord that I've had numerous incarnations and I'm only midway through all the ones scheduled for me in this universe and I will participate in the resurrection when this story gets that far. If you can just think outside of time and space for a moment, you can see how it is all possible too.

One of the things the cross was to do was to separate those judgments again so man would not share in Lucifer's judgment concerning the lake of fire. Those who are seeing hell, when they die, have failed to embrace the provision to escape Lucifer's judgment I just described and it's in the Bible anyway, but the reasons are not clear in Bible scripture I've noted in a life time of study of that book of collected testimonies. What I was shown even explains the kids coming back who remember their previous life's journey and are being reincarnated. The resurrection and reincarnations are not hard to understand when you see that the journey of each soul is separate, as is the story of each planet our Father of light has ordained throughout his universe. The resurrection is part of man's story, but not the other planets I learned. The story of the other planets is life, death, and karmic law. One day all the faiths on this world will resolve into each other to see what I was shown, but if you have trouble with all of this, just stay on the path of your current faith. Just don't force it on those who are asking the more difficult questions the Church can not answer.

I'm not here to deceive anyone as an NDE, but I do find it fascinating how few really see what the Bible really is all about. What I was exposed to in death, you can listen to on my YouTube channel, TheAstroboy9 channel, if you wish. It makes for fascinating listening and I didn't tell it all because I knew the Christian Churches would have trouble hearing it all. I've also seen some of heaven with my second NDE at age 44. I've been reading the Bible since I was in the 4th grade too, but there were many passages that simply would not resolve with Church theology in my book. All the more I was delighted to get the first NDE at age 25 which resolved a lot of those passages for me after I came back. I guess each person has to learn on their own, for themselves in the end. Still, I guess I love to rustle the feathers of the religious to make them think outside of the box they have put themselves in and are so afraid to come out of because they fear hell more than doing God's will through love.

Point is, there is more to the Bible than the Bible reveals. 66 documents just doesn't cut it and even John said in 21:25 "If all the things Christ did could be recorded, the world could not hold it all" I saw no less in death. Point is I share this in line with my original review of the film, which was an extensive review to see if anyone saw what I saw the film could have been which matches up with what I saw in death. The detail breakdown I do of Bowers work shows the flaws that would have made the film perfect spiritually in my view. Still, I suppose kids are only interested in the battle scenes, Astro's powers and hopefully his goodness as a superhero. Same with Astrogirl.

I think focusing on Astro's butt, with machine guns, is a moot point to who he is as pure goodness. We weren't confused as kids when we were young on the machine guns, because Astro was an android, not a human being. So there was no sexual connotations in the machine gun issue among my friends. Still, even when I gave time to listen to Rap and Hip Hop, which I can't believe lasted as long as it did, I've never heard lyrics focus so much on pure sex, with no love attached to the act, as when I did listen to some of the artists of the 80's and 90's. I finally gave up on listening and went back to the romantic songs of the 1940's, 60's and 70's before it all went to hell with RAP and Hip Hop.

I'm posting this because I come from the generation when Astro was first introduced to the United States. I suppose he more carnally minded would be focused on the things you mention in your comment. I'm more a spiritually minded person over a life time and have been a student of all of man's sciences since I was a boy. Good and evil are subject to how you view a thing or an act in my experience with the world over a life time. Everything is in how you look at it in other words and each person behaves accordingly too. We also each pick the way we will die it seems, based on the way we look at things it seems. I think Astro died the most honorable death in the end and played out the Christ's role when he gave his life for everyone and then was brought back from the dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2016, 4:29:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2016, 3:47:56 PM PDT
@The Night Falcon - Your initial post is rife with factual errors. "Astro Boy" (or as he is known in Japan, Tetsuwan Atomu, which literally translates as "Iron-Arm Atom", but which is officially transliterated as "Mighty Atom") was initially conceived by Dr. Osamu Tezuka in 1951, in a story entitled "Ambassador Atom". The premise of Atom/Astro as a mediator of peace between two different races of beings was present in the manga (comics) from his very inception as a character. Tezuka had been asked to do a science fiction story for SHONEN ("Boys") magazine, and he proposed to the editor a concept which he called "The Atom Continent" (sort of a sci-fi takeoff on the legendary continents of Atlantis or Mu), which would have been a long epic with many characters, but the editor said that was no good -- it was too complicated and had too many characters. The editor suggested instead that Tezuka build a story about a boy character named Atom. After having his initial proposal shot down, Tezuka was somewhat at a loss for ideas, but agreed and suggested "Ambassador Atom" as the title and set to work immediately, even though he had only the most nebulous of ideas to begin with. In fact, he hadn't really settled on who or what Atom the boy robot should be, so Atom wasn't even introduced into the story until the fifth installment in the series, which eventually ran in 12 monthly installments for a year. The story Tezuka finally formulated was still somewhat unfocused and rambling, about a group of refugees from a destroyed Earth, travelling through space in a fleet of ships each containing the surviving citizens of different nations, in search of a new planet to live on. When they do discover a new planet that appears suitable, they discover that in fact it is an exact duplicate of the Earth they came from, with identical counterparts for each of the Old Earth survivors (the only difference is that the space refugees have noticeably larger ears). At first they are welcomed to the New Earth, each in the counterpart of their home countries, but soon friction develops when it becomes apparent that the space survivors are going to put a severe strain on the world's food supply and natural resources. Meanwhile, Dr. Tenma (Boynton in the English translation) of the new Earth has created an advanced lifelike boy robot to replace his dead son, but has become slightly unhinged by his grief. He starts a paramilitary brigade called the Red Shirts to hunt down the space humans and destroy them. The space people have ships with weapons and advanced technology unknown on the new Earth, so those that escaped the Red Shirt Brigade retaliate by counterattacking in their spaceships. At this point, the new Earth people realize that the entire planet will become embroiled in a civil war if something isn't done to reconcile the two parallel races, so Atom (the only intelligent being without a counterpart from the old Earth) is called on to mediate the peace as an ambassador between the two races, since as a robot, he is neutral and non-partisan between the two human races.

Unfortunately, reader reception to the storyline (which still had so many characters that Atom couldn't really be called the star of the story) wasn't very positive, so the editor of SHONEN again suggested to Tezuka that he rework the idea from scratch, make Atom the strong focus of a series of shorter episodes and a true hero that the boy readers could identify with. In the new series which followed immediately the month after the "Ambassador Atom" story had concluded, the series was now titled Mighty Atom, and Tezuka began a series of continued stories of varying lengths, the main theme of which was on the tension between humans of the 21st century and the increasing number of intelligent humanoid robots, of which Atom was the most advanced and powerful. Many stories followed which dealt with the conflicts between humans and robots, which in effect became a metaphor for human discrimination against any group that was different.

Fred Ladd (not Alan Ladd, the 1940s movie actor) was the man who was chosen to translate and re-edit the 1963 Mighty Atom series into English for US audiences. Ladd and NBC (who purchased the series for syndication) agreed that the name "Atom" had too many negative connotations for opponents of nuclear weapons and nuclear power, so the name Astro Boy was chosen for the hero instead. Out of the 193 episodes of the series produced by Tezuka's own Mushi Productions in Japan, NBC and Ladd only translated 104. Many of the original episodes were problematic because of cultural differences and differing attitudes about appropriate humor or levels of cartoon violence. After NBC had purchased the first season of 52 episodes and it had been a big success in the US, they wanted to purchase another 52 episodes, but with the stipulation that they would pay Tezuka more money to increase the number of frames of animation per episode, for a higher-quality cartoon. Despite this, problems developed in terms of NBC wanting to assert more control over the content of the programs, and even though the 104 translated episodes did quite well and sold briskly to independent TV stations, NBC wanted to move forward with a different series, this time in color (that turned out to be KIMBA, the White Lion). Another color series was created in Japan in 1980 (52 episodes, only 51 of which were translated into English), mainly because Tezuka always felt he didn't have the kind of budget he'd have liked to in 1963, the stories of the 1963 series didn't stick as close to the story themes of his comics, and NBC's demands in terms of content made him turn over the original show to other writers and animators. In 2003, another new series was made, underwritten by Sony and using a bigger budget, with computer animation effects (also 52 episodes). The 1963 cartoon was the very first half-hour animated TV series in Japan. Prior to that, Mighty Atom had appeared in a poorly-made, low-budget live action TV series in 1959 (which Tezuka Productions now disowns).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›