Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars A very tasty story about love and death dancing with wolves, mixing happiness and sadness, despair and hope - and sex and blood!, November 16, 2011
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
I just saw "Breaking Dawn" part 1, and I was VERY impressed, even if as a man I am probably not the most typical fan of "Twilight" series. I rather liked all the "Twilight" movies until now and this one is, to my personnal taste, as good as the previous ones - and even in one aspect a little bit better, as Edward and Bella finally become lovers. Below, you will find a short description of what I believe are the best elements of this film, with limited SPOILERS:

1. Actors. All actors evolved as the serie continued and I believe they all got better with time. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are both excellent, but - in my humble opinion - it is Kristen Stewart who in this movie shines the most. Quite a lot of people frequently criticized her actorship claiming that she simply can not play at all and has a very limited assortment of expressions in her tool box. But for me, after reading "Twilight" books, this is how the character of Bella should be. I can hardly picture her wide smiling with all her teeth bared or doing any other highly extraverted things like that. In fact I believe that either by design or by accident Kristen Stewart got the things right about this character - her minimalistic approach to facial expressions actually makes (for me) Bella very believable and also quite likeable. In this part of the story, Bella takes a more dynamic approach to life by taking her destiny firmly under control. She makes important decisions and takes extreme risks, stubbornly resisting the opposite advice of all her family and friends - all of that in a deceptively unassuming way... And Kristen Stewart acted in the movie exactly as I pictured Bella did it, when I read the books. A very good job!

Other actors are also great, with Ashley Greene and Billy Burke being as usual the pillars - but amongst the supporting roles it is Nikki Reed who really gets the most praise from me. She has a much bigger role in this film and she is perfect in it! The one (little) disappointment is Jackson Rathbone, who changed comletely his haircut for this film and as a result his character, Jasper, seems much less impressive, which is a pity. He also seems to appear very little in the "first line", almost as if the director preferred to hide him a little...

2. Visual aspects. As usual, the images of state of Washington are great, but the tropical island where Bella and Edward spend their honey moon is also very pleasantly showed. Dark forests filled with (were)wolves are very much present here and they are a great background for the story.

3. Music. As usual in those series, music and songs have been selected very carefully and with a great taste.

4. The (were)wolf pack. The Quileute wolves are shown here even more and better than in the previous part. The scene of their war council, when they are all in the werewolf form, is absolutely great! The scene when Sam (the alpha male) asserts and confirms his power over the pack is excellent - as good as the description of Jacob's defiance and its consequences.

5. The wedding. A very nice and moving scene with some humour elements, especially when the guests make speeches offering toasts. Emmett, Jessica and Bella's father give here a great show. In the same time Mike Newton obsesses on vampire bridesmaids from the Denali clan, to the point of drooling (and I TOTALLY understand him!). Bella's mum and, suprprise surprise, Rosalie (!) are also real treasures in wedding scenes.

6. Quileute wolves vs. Cullen coven confrontation. This heartbreaking, tense and at moments violent conflict in which both sides are trapped against their will is a great moment in the Twilight saga - and its final resolution is even better! Finally it is true what the Beatles were singing - all you need is love! Babies help too...

7. The fight for Bella's life, Renesmee's bloody birth and Bella's fate - excellent! Those were moments very difficult to film - but the challenge was met succesfully! Nothing more about it to avoid more spoilers, but I was very impressed!

Conclusion: it is an excellent movie which I watched with great pleasure. My wife, who usually is a much harder person to please, loved it too and she is going to see it again with some girlfriends. And we will certainly both wait with great expectations for the "Breaking dawn" part 2. If it was done as well as that one, it will be certainly worth waiting one year to see it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2011 2:23:45 PM PST
I Totally Agreed With This Review. I Have Seen It Six Times. Can't Wait To own My own Copy. I have All The Books And The Collection of Movies To Date.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 2:54:45 PM PST
Maciej says:
Thank you for your kind word - I also liked all the movies and the books. All the best!

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:08:10 AM PST
Zenei says:
I also TOTALLY agree with you! It is so refreshing to know that someone besides the typical teenager (I am a grandmother) loves the Twilight series as much as I do. I thought this movie was the best one! Well maybe.... I mean besides the original and maybe New Moon and of course Eclipse. Oh shoot, that's all of them! Well then I guess I love them all equally! :-)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 10:22:36 AM PST
I haven't seen the movie yet but i know that i'll probably agree with you for i have appreciated all the previous films. I especially liked your comment on Jasper's haircut. I know that it'll bother me too! I'm sure of it.

But i beg to differ on Kirsten Stewart. Like i said, i have yet to see her in this fourth film but in the three last movies, although i find her absolutly beautiful and not without talents, i thought that, on the contrary, she couldn't stop fidgeting or shaking! Every little emotion she gave was a showcase for a thousand grimaces and a zillion quivers (can you say that in english? Quivers? Sorry, i'm french). To a point that it was ridiculous. In "Welcome To The Reiley", she plays a junkie so those quivers seem "normal" but that would be the only detail that bugs me with her acting. Always shaking, fidgeting and quivering (from the face - not the rest of the body).

Otherwise, she's a very talented actress and i like her very much.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 4:32:45 PM PST
I COMPLETELY AGREE with this review....For a you being a guy I am very impressed by the way you have grasped the movie. This Movie Is My favorite of them all.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 1:46:43 PM PST
Marc G says:
So you enjoyed the content, but what about the other aspects of the product? Picture and sound quality, extras that are part of the special edition??

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 1:29:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 12, 2012 1:32:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:00:07 AM PST
nate says:
I too agree with this Review. I have seen twice. I also can't wait to own my own copy. I also have all the books and all the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 2:25:36 AM PST
Rebecca Anne says:
The DVD isn't out until next month, so no one should be able to write about the special features until then.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:45:39 PM PST
To hear this from a guy's point a view is very shocking. But of course it let's us know that there are some guys who are open minded about these sort of movies because most people look at the Twilight Saga as "Chick Flicks". But i agree with you 100% especially about the part where you talk about how great of an actress Kristen is. I feel that most people who say that she needs more acting skills for this movie must not have read the books, because the way Kristen acts in the movie, she is basically channeling all of Bella's characteristics from the book. I totally agree with that part, as well as everything else about this movie. I liked this one the most because they stayed closer to the book than they did with the other films. But i'm guessing they got to stay closer to the book because this movie has 2 parts, so there's much more time to fit in more stuff from the book. With that being said, im about to go pre-order my copy of Breaking Dawn pt 1......and about to go find out when part 2 comes out! :) can't wait!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›