Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

2.0 out of 5 stars An Exercise in Frustration, August 10, 2011
This review is from: UFC Personal Trainer - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm a big fan of the UFC and a big fan of working out, so this title seemed like a natural fit for me. I've successfully completed P90X and GSP's excellent RushFit, so I have reference as to what a good workout routine is and I entered UFC Trainer with certain expectations, neither of which is fully met with this title, which certainly feels like a rough draft of a game that could've used 3 months of additional development time. At first, the sheer variety of workout options seems rather nice and varied. The variety is quickly wasted upon hearing your trainer repeat phrase after phrase, such as, "let's get the body ready for a great workout," followed 3 seconds later by "let's get the body ready for a great workout." Much more variety in the dialogue is a no brainer. How the developers let this slide is surprisingly Bush League game development since it really bites into the experience.

More variety in warm-up exercises would have been welcome, such as having the CPU randomly select 5 warm up moves from a pool of warm-up exercises instead of having to do the same ones before every routine. The option to skip warm-up or cooldown would have been nice.

During a routine you are prompted to input how heavy a weight you would like to use for the upcoming exercise... but are never told what that exercise is. So how do I know how much weight to grab (since the weight has to be input, to help figure calorie burn) - I'll use different weight for triceps than lunges, for example. Again, the user experience seems to be an afterthought

The biggest sin this title commits is in its shoddy body movement recognition during 'gameplay.' I can't remember how many clean, strict, push ups I would hammer out only to see the game wasn't registering but a fraction of them. Jumping jacks also gave the game a hard time to see and register, so the frustration quickly builds as you are losing your point bonuses and sometimes even fail an exercise outright since the goal numbers aren't being met. This problem rears its ugly head again in sparring, where sharp and crisp jabs and crosses frequently are met with a buzzer announcing you failed to throw the strike properly.

Graphics are decent, nothing remarkable, background music is derivative hard guitars trying to emulate the UFC feel. Sound effects are ridiculous, similar to 80's kung-fu movies, like when a trainer throws a knee strike you hear a whoosh! Every step the trainer takes on the mat sounds way more dramatic than it should be.

Overall, I got some decent workouts in, but the game's faults were so glaring that I became jaded with it after 2 weeks. Even Xbox Achievement hounds should steer clear of this sweaty turd. In closing, this title suffers greatly from its lack of polish. Perhaps next year's edition will clear up the blemishes this is covered in. For a mere $20 more, I recommend George St. Pierre's RushFit dvd set. Very varied, very demanding, very fun - and produces great results.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2011, 11:59:05 PM PDT
When asked what weight you would like to use, it does display the name of the exercise at the bottom of the screen. Also, once you have this weight set, it remembers it as the default for that exercise. Next time you can just accept the value rather than re-entering it. I too had a problem with push-up registering until realized I was ending up too close to the sensor when I got down on the floor. Moving a foot back allowed it to register most every time (it misses maybe one in twenty now).

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 8:57:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 6, 2011, 8:58:14 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 8:58:27 PM PST
Mars009 says:
Did you get the update or do the problems persist even after the update?

Posted on Dec 14, 2011, 4:26:29 PM PST
T Money says:
Great review, exactly what I needed to know. I've done Rushfit, P90X, and used P90X+, all great work outs that really push you. I figured this would be a let down. I'm sure some day the technology will catch up. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012, 9:12:45 AM PST
J. Roberts says:
This review is very accurate. I actually performed a workout yesterday in the program, and today it tells me I skipped it, so it sets me up for the same routine as yesterday. The push-ups are horrible. Detecting from the front was a terrible idea. Yourshape: Fitness Evolved 2012 detects all floor exercises from the side and has no issues detecting my push-ups. However, in Yourshape if your no detected its no big deal. But UFC Pro Trainer tells you that you suck and blames its own faults on you, which is frustrating and very demotivating. In Yourshape you can pick any workout to do in your routine. I would give this game a 3/10 for failure to utilize the camera properly, repetition and glitchy programming.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012, 2:59:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2012, 2:59:43 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 7, 2012, 9:33:17 PM PST
K. Beam says:
I couldnt agree more. I've kept trying to mess with this game and same thing ok lets warm up like really i just did then we did an excersize, just really felt no progress with this game too repetitive!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013, 10:20:03 AM PST
I agree with this review 100%! This game was kind of a disapointment for me... And I still don't know how to unlock the videos...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›