November 10, 2010
My failing: I look at a book's length first. This one is around 294 pages total.

See, I just wonder if -- right now: post-Internet, post-fragmented, pre-Buddha -- the usual reader is really to accept 294 pages of advice.

No question: Eric Karjaluoto writes well. There were times when I cursed him: "You write better than I do, you .... "

But I am also a HUGE fan of good how-to books. It's an art form.

Eric likes to write. And he's good at it: very entertaining. If I had an infinite desert island of time and cocktails, I'd love to walk with him, beginning to end. Let's chat. Until we expire.

Still. That time has passed. Long time ago. About mid-1990s. Today, if you can glue someone to 500 words, you're a first-level wizard. Today's world has no time, I suspect, for books 294 pages long.

Eric taught me a few things. He's one of the special people: he has insights no one else has. I predict, though: You, the reader, will not finish this book, despite its charms. Eric: my challenge: What are the fewest # of words necessary to convey the same important message?
0Comment Report abuse Permalink