Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 29, 2012
I live in Hollywood, where self-diagnosed food allergies have become the new anorexia. I can't tell you how many botoxed, wafer-thin women I know, when asked what their "secret" was, reply, "Oh, I'm allergic. I can't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, soy...." The list goes on. They don't eat, but it has little to do with food allergies.

So I was highly suspicious of this book. After finishing, however, I feel the author's method has merit. She defines the difference between food allergy and food intolerance, the latter being a creeping condition that can cause inflammation in the body over years.

She describes my symptoms exactly. Up until age 45, I could eat anything without gaining weight. Over the past eight years, though, I've put on 32 pounds. I suffer from insomnia, fatigue, joint pain, brain fog. I blamed it all on surgical menopause, and my doctors concurred. But recently, other problems have shown up. Hives when I eat eggs. Breakouts when I eat cheese. Random indigestion.

I've eliminated gluten, dairy, and soy at different times, but never all together. That's the cornerstone of the author's method -- to concurrently eliminate all seven foods that can cause intolerance and inflammation for three weeks. These foods are gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, corn, peanuts, sugar & artificial sweeteners. Then add them back in over the following four weeks and see how you feel.

My one concern is that she never addresses the safety of losing "up to" seven pounds in seven days, or what you're losing. I assume it's water or bloat. My doctors have always recommended no more than two pounds per week.

Nor does she address the fact that food intolerance symptoms and menopausal symptoms are almost identical, although a few of her test cases were menopausal women who said the diet alleviated their symptoms. Also, at one point she recommends you drink "half your weight or more in water each day," which, considering how much I weigh, would be an impossibility. I assume that's a typo.

So until I try her diet, I can't give this book a conclusive review, but rate it four-stars because I thought the writing was good, the science sound, and the methodology easy to understand and implement.
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)