Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 7, 2008
The low-carb diet has been evolving over the last 10-15 years as the nutritional power and availability of vegetables have increased. I can't understand a dieter like Delores Haze today. I've been on low-carb for 7 years and have almost never had a "hunk o' meat and veg" for dinner. Tonight I had a delicious stir-fry with broccoli, red and white onions, snow peas, grated carrots, large, vine-ripened tomato slices, cut-up chicken sausage and diced fresh chicken from my last evening's dinner. I cook this slowly in extra-virgin olive oil and a splash of canola oil. Absolutely no seasoning is needed. I made a lot and it's a good thing. Both my younger kids had friends over and they had seconds and thirds. "We never get food like this at home" was a typical comment. Interestingly, nobody even noticed that the meal was very low in net carbs. So, my suggestion to Delores is to put a bit of effort into your dieting and you'll be amazed at how much delicious variety you can eat.

I do agree with Delores (and others) who experience headaches a few days into the diet. However, she is incorrect to say that using addiction terminology is wrong. It is, in fact, right on. Just watch very heavy people gorging on ice cream, candy, cake, cookies, and Grape-Nuts (yes, they have a huge amount of sugar disguised as barley malt). Why do they do it? They really need to, physically and mentally. That's addiction. Like all addicts, when they gorge on their addictive substance (that first drink of alcohol, the first bite of ice cream, that big bowl of Grape-Nuts, etc.) they feel great. But we all now what happens down the line. So, get through the headaches (mine came on after three days and did not fully disappear until about ten days). That was seven years ago and I don't remember ever having another headache. I do remember effortlessly losing 65 pounds (it's still all off), controlling my blood pressure without medication, and dropping my frighteningly high fasting triglycerides (over 400) to 89. Oh and my cholesterol did nothing. It was at 155 when I started and it has been at 155 (plus or minus 10) the whole time. With my HDL at 60+, I'm not worried.

Bottom line: If you are creative and determined, the low-carb diet is a very easy one to follow and this book, with all its delicious recipes, sensible advice on exercise, and an excellent overall discussion of why low-carb works is a great place to start.
65 helpful votes