Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 15, 2007
I recently bought one of these for my brother-in-law as a birthday present. I snuck a peek at the tool before presenting it to him, and I am glad I did! The Gerber's knife blade's edge was covered with fine metal burrs, as were some of the other tool blades. I ended up using the non-serrated knife on my trusty Leatherman Super Tool (that I bought about 8-10 years ago) to shave down and clean up the burrs from the Gerber tool!

The spring-loaded plier jaws of the Gerber tool are kind of gimmicky, as I can close my old-fashioned, non spring-loaded Leatherman pliers (rotating handles and all!) just as fast as it takes to push the Gerber plier jaws back into their handle and lock them into place. Plus it seems too easy to release the "safety" on the Gerber tool while you are using it.

All in all, the Gerber isn't a bad tool, but I was a bit put off by the fact that the knife and one or two other tool blades weren't cleaned up at the factory. It doesn't give the best impression of craftsmanship. Fortunately, my brother-in-law got a cleaned-up tool and he's happy with it, so that's all that counts.
11 comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?