Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars Some things just shouldn't be Co-ed, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Human Target: Season 2 (DVD)
Season One of Human Target was a little choppy in the beginning. I've always been a big fan of both Mark Valley and Jackie Earle Haley, so I kept watching, and I was REALLY glad I did. The show really started to gel beautifully in the last third of the season, when they started to incorporate more of Haley's character, Guerrero, and toned down the animosity between him and Chi McBride's character, Winston. Later, this particular dynamic became much less serious, and more of a tug-of than an actual war. By the end of the first season I was completely hooked. I LOVE my USA network shows, Memphis Beat and Leverage, but this became my favorite. Could NOT wait for the second season. The show received three Emmy nominations and developed a VERY loyal following.

When, at the end of the first season it was announced that two women were going to join the cast I was skeptical. Most of my favorite shows have strong women characters, but this just didn't strike me as the right vehicle. It was just so perfect as it was. When the characters were revealed, I was NOT happy, and neither were MOST of the fans, from what I can gather. A green young woman with an attitude problem and a lack of commitment? A "hands-off" investor who decides to meddle, change all the guys and the way they do things in a whiny, self righteous manner? In real life, these women would get these guys KILLED. BAD MOVE. And when they made Guerrero into a babysitter, I thought it was all over. BUT luckily that little plot line faded out, and still the magic of Chance, Winston and Guerrero pulled this show through.

So the question is (as it pretty much ALWAYS is...) Why can't Fox let a show develop without screwing with it? This show was PERFECT at the end of the first season. They take it in a BAD direction, they delay the start of the second season, they change the night, pre-empt it, change the time to make it follow American Idol (Dude...really?) and then they're not happy with the results, DESPITE the fact that their loyal fans followed it through EVERY combination and permutation. Should watching your favorite show be an obstacle course???

And still, now, they can't decide whether or not to renew this show. After the fiasco of Terriers on F/X, I will NEVER get caught up in a Fox show again if they cancel Human Target. It's just too painful to have your favorite shows pulled right out from under you, Emmy nominations and loyal fans not withstanding.

I highly recommend this show on DVD to anyone who enjoys the new action/drama/smattering of comedy vehicles, such as Burn Notice and Leverage. GREAT chemistry between the original cast members, and stories you WON'T figure out, even if you are cursed with "can always figure out the ending-itis."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011, 5:42:58 PM PDT
I have to say, I loved the second season. I like the addition of Indira Varma. She's a fine actress and I like the "chemistry" between Chance and Ilsa. I think it adds a great deal to the show. Season Two was great! I just hope Fox brings it back for a third season and gives it the marketing support it deserves.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011, 1:11:24 PM PDT
L. W. says:
I kind of agree. I still enjoyed the show with the addition of the women, but enjoyed it even more the first season. It was truly a male chemistry type show and these guys fit together perfectly - no need to add the female component. An occasional guest appearance, sure, we can always use a little love interest, not to mention a few shirtless moments for Mark Valley. But, keep the main show concept and story development to the men. I will really miss this show!!!!!!!!!! Why no release date for the DVD, don't tell me they will not release that. I hate when shows do that!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011, 5:41:52 PM PDT
A.K.A. Me says:
I have also been worried that they may not release the show on DVD. Clearly, they are complete morons. All the more reason to stay the H--- away from Fox.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011, 2:21:56 PM PDT
Marcel says:
Love the show, just started watching season 1 again on Blu, really a shame it's been cancelled! ;-(

Posted on Dec 18, 2011, 3:54:38 PM PST
Slingshot says:
Season two was god Awful and I for one am glad it was cancelled after the train wreck of season two. It was a mercy killing, the two addition were beyond terrible I wish I had never watched it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012, 2:47:33 AM PST
M. Sagor says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013, 1:14:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013, 1:18:01 PM PDT
completely agree! it is just plain weird that FOX hasn't put a out a date for season 2. They cancelled the show a while back. Why not put out season 2? It makes no sense at all to put out season ! and not season 2!!!!!!!!! What's up Fox???

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013, 1:08:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2013, 1:08:22 PM PDT
I agree. I thought the dry humour and skilful dialogue of the second season was even better than the first.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›