Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Rock...Just Don't Be Fooled, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Suburba (Amazon Exclusive Version) (MP3 Music)
This is a review for those who have never heard of House Of Heroes but may be considering it simply because the price is so low (at the time of this writing).

First point: Don't be fooled by Amazon's suggestion that if you like Relient K or Jimmy Eat World, this album may be for you. While it may be true that one of Suburba's producers has produced Relient K, the only similarity is the Christian theme. As For Jimmy Eat World...not even close. The previews pretty much tell the story here...there isn't anything amazingly different "hidden" behind the samples.

This is classic or retro rock all the way, much closer to a Styx/Queen combo (2010-style). And there isn't a lot of variety with the songs. There are slower moments with songs like "Salt In The Sea" and "Constant" (my favorite), but the chord progressions, guitar solos, harmonies (very solid, by the way), lead vocals and melodies are all culled from decades-old rock bands. Don't get me wrong, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As a matter of fact, the 5-star reviewers have made valid points. The musicianship and performance, presentation and production are tight (near flawless, actually). This album contains some extremely powerful, solid rock music. Crank this up and it'll blow the walls down. I would just make sure you actually like the retro style before buying...I've made the mistake many times of buying music because the price was low, thinking it might grow on me. In this case, I know it won't.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2010, 3:03:00 PM PDT
E. Ching says:
helpful review, but tbh any regular consumer should listen to their music online (via youtube, amazon clips, myspace, etc.) before making purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010, 8:48:21 PM PDT
A7sus4 says:
This review is inconsistent with regard to your rating, the quality you describe, and the validation of other reviews (at least in part). It seems like you gave it 3 stars based on your own disappointment with past purchases and a disagreement with the similar artists in the recommendation rather than the item itself. Further, the album is pretty conceptual and seemingly designed to be overtly cohesive, I'm not sure what sort of "variety in songs" you would expect.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010, 4:18:49 PM PDT
HuskerDog says:
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I can see where it might seem like my rating doesn't match with some of my comments. This is how I determined the 3-star rating. Points were given for the excellent production and the quality vocal and musical performance. I feel that the way a song is presented (produced and arranged) is extremely important...you can diminish the impact of a great song with below par presentation. But that is not a problem with this record, so two and a half stars are for that.

However, there are only two songs ("God Save..." and "Constant") that I find enjoyable enough to listen to repeatedly (half a point for that). Music and all art forms are a matter of personal taste, and for me, this style of music isn't what my senses desire. So why would I even bother writing a review?

When I saw that Amazon suggested this for people who like Relient K or Jimmy Eat World, I got a little excited about the possibilities of what this album had to offer (I love Jimmy Eat World, especially some of their older stuff, and I also have some Relient K). Obviously then, I was disappointed when I heard the songs in their entirety, as I found this music isn't anything like that of those two bands. The deception by Amazon (perhaps ignorance is a better word) drove me to write the review in the hopes that I might reach just one person who might be like me and impulsively purchase music even when the previews aren't showing me anything like what I'm hoping to hear.

I clearly stated in my first sentence who this review was intended for...obviously it would be of no help to a House Of Heroes fan. And yes, I understand the album is conceptual and cohesive...those are the best kinds of albums for me when I actually like the style, but the reason I added the statement that there isn't a lot of variety with the songs was to emphasize that if you don't like the style you hear in the previews, there won't be anything within the rest of the body of the songs that would change your perception of what the album is like when you would hear it in full (again, comments intended only for non-fans or for anyone who likes Jimmy Eat World or Relient K).

But I take the rating seriously, and I can assure you I rated the PRODUCT 3-stars, even though you correctly picked up on my disagreement with Amazon's recommendation. Thanks again for commenting, and I hope I clarified myself a little better.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010, 6:24:20 PM PDT
E. Ching says:
Lance, your review was helpful. a lot of people nowadays want immediate gratification with their music; unwilling to put more than 2 of 3 listens in to find depth. Hopefully more who come along will read your review and learn ahead of time this may not be their style - which will undoubtedly lessen the number of reviews claiming 'it wasn't what they wanted.'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010, 6:37:56 PM PDT
HuskerDog says:
Thank you, T. Ching. That is what I was hoping to achieve.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010, 12:12:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010, 12:12:55 AM PDT
R. Clark says:
Lance, you should check out their other albums. If you like "God Save..." I think you'd love The End Is Not The End. Its less of a old school Americana rock feel and more power pop through out. I suggest you YouTube, "In The Valley of The Dying Sun" and "Code Name: Raven"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010, 2:02:19 PM PDT
HuskerDog says:
I just listened to some of their older material, and a few songs weren't too bad. "Sooner Or Later", "By Your Side", "Field Of Daggers" and "Serial Sleepers" were among the tops...at least for a first impression. I appreciate your suggestions. I really hadn't planned on listening to their other songs, but you're right. Some of their songs have a totally different feel. After listening more to the new album, the song "Constant", at least for me, is head and shoulders above the rest, even including their older material. I can connect with that one for sure. Thanks again.

Posted on Aug 7, 2010, 11:05:37 AM PDT
J. Corban says:
Just a random side note....House of Heroes and Relient K are great friends. They love touring together and would love to do it again soon. :-) Whenever i talk to one band, we always talk about the other!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›