Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book About Purgatory!, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Hungry Souls: Supernatural Visits, Messages, and Warnings from Purgatory (Paperback)
All Catholics should read Hungry Souls. Today we do not hear enough about Purgatory and Hell. As Cardinal John Henry Newman stated nearly 150 years ago, "We are cherishing a shallow religion, a hollow religion, which will not profit us in the day of trouble. The age loves an exclusively cheerful religion. It is determined to make religion bright and sunny and joyous......we take what is beautiful and attractive, shrink from what is stern and painful."

In "Hungry Souls" Van Den Aardweg relates stories of visitations from those in purgatory and presents physical evidence. Chapter 8, The Exhibits of the Museum of Purgatory, includes photos of evidence of visits from souls in purgatory contained in the Museum. The museum is located in the church of the Sacred Heart of Suffrage in Rome. The pictures and stories included in this chapter are enlightening.

These stories include the fact that even our smallest imperfections need to be removed before we can enter Heaven. Many have been surprised when souls of good and pious persons have appeared to ask for help. We ought not to think that our loved ones are immediately in Heaven, and we should continue to pray for them always. Van Den Aardweg states that while we help the hungry and needy in this world, we neglect those in the next who are even hungrier and needier.

While the souls in purgatory cannot pray for themselves, the souls in purgatory do watch over us. The souls of the deceased need our prayers and good works. From time to time souls in purgatory still appear to certain individuals to ask for help. Modern day saints who have been visited by souls in purgatory include St. Faustina, Padre Pio and St. Josemaria Escriva.

In the past I have found that some books published by Tan Publishers have been of poor quality and have fallen apart after reading only a couple of times. This book is of a much better quality paper, and the print is easy to read. It is the best book I have read about purgatory, and I highly recommend it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2010 12:55:13 PM PST
Maryann S says:
I couldn't put this book down! As I read, I thought of so many friends, relatives and students who have died, and
am more grateful than ever for my Catholic faith. So many Protestant friends and Catholic friends do not
believe in Purgatory. I believe! I realize it's up to me to explain some of the stories within that the saints have shared with us.

This book will help me pray more often, and more devoutly from now on. I'm ordering several more to share. What
discussions we'll have as a result!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 5:37:55 PM PST
annie says:
Like you I was drawn to this book and kept trying to find time to read just a few more pages. It is unlike anything I have ever read. Today when we hear so little about purgatory I am grateful for a book like this.

I was planning on donating my copy to our parish library, but I don't want to part with it. Looks like I'll be ordering another copy.

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 2:48:54 AM PST
RJ says:
Your description is awesome!!!!!!!!!! You are the one that have nailed the last doubt for me in feeling like this is just "another book" on Purpgatory.. I am buying it!

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 7:12:48 AM PDT
Thank you for the compelling quote from Cardinal John Henry Newman.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 6:44:03 PM PST
Topaz says:
I think what Catholics call purgatory is really spirits being bound to earth (or in another dimension close to earth). This book seems interesting, but I am not sure of the Catholic spin on it. I don't think Catholicism has it all figured out. I especially don't like the part where it was stated that earth bound spirits (or spirits in purgatory) can't pray for themselves. Logically that makes no sense, and from my own investigations does not seem to be true. What a horrible prospect -- and not one I think a loving God would condone.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 5:57:05 PM PST
Thank you for the review. I have not heard about souls visiting Josemaria Escriva. are those visits included in this book? If not, do you remember where you read about the visits, because I would appreciate those stories. Also, I agree entirely with your observations that the physical quality of TAN books has vastly improved. The subject matter was always good, but I stopped buying from that publisher, because the binding glue soon came undone (I've heard this form others as well). I bought a book by Louis Montfort published by them a few months ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the improved quality of the binding and that the text is in a more readable type than that I've seen in the past.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 5:52:55 PM PST
annie says:
As it has been quite some time since I read this book, I went back to the book trying to find more information. In chapter 11 the author writes: "As we shall see in later chapters, several recently canonized saints have also been zealous helpers of the "holy souls," including Padre Pio, Josemaria Escriva and Sister Faustina. While I was able to locate more informaiton on Padre Pio & Sr. Faustina, I could not find the information on St. Josemaria Escriva and this puzzles me. I guess I'll have to reread the entire book.

The author lists "Sermons: Friends of God" by Escriva in the bibliography.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 11:36:56 AM PST
I have read this book belonging to my daughter and decided I must have a copy. It is a wonderful book to reconfirm our belief in purgatory and bring this information not only to ourselves but to others who may also be in doubt as to this truth of our christian faith and the teachings of the church. I greatly enjoyed reading this book . ALR/SanJuan PR

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2014 10:12:19 PM PST
M. Horey says:
Jesus (God) "has it all figured out," and He founded the Catholic Church. That is why you can trust their "spin." Thanks, and God bless you :)

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 3:46:08 PM PST
Annie: I just finished reading this book. Your review is good. I used to purchase TAN PUBLISHERS book directly from TAN when they were headquartered in Rockford Illinois. In the past few years, they have merged with Benedict Press and are now located in Charlotte, NC. I have noticed that the quality of the books has improved. I agree with you, there was a quality control issue with TAN.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›