January 26, 2016
I'd been taught to treat people the way the God said we should but I'd never known anyone who took those words as literally as Doreen and John. An elderly stranger, mentally unstable, sometimes incontinent, sometimes mean spirited and at times destructive takes up residence in their recliner. Yet, Doreen made her feel welcome in her own home. It started out of her love and loyalty to her husband, John, who knew Sophie first. I saw, in this book, more than simply a kind deed done for an old lady. I saw what selfless people can do to make the life of one person better. It was difficult for Doreen, as she was the main caregiver for Sophie, but she never gave up. The mental health system and elderly assistance makes it impossible to find the resources desperately needed for so many homeless on the streets. I believe that Doreen opened the eyes of the government agencies that she dealt with. The woman is a bulldog when she is on a mission! Sophie's story could be anyone's story if changes aren't made to accommodate those living from one paycheck to the next, or unable to work due to health or age. The Stranger In My Recliner is an excellent example of kindness, selflessness, perseverance, loyalty, and just doing the right thing.
2 people found this helpful