Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

3.0 out of 5 stars Fifty-fifty picture performance. Superb Gaming Mode, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba 40G300U 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black Gloss) (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I wanted another television. Last year, I bought a Samsung LN40C630 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black). I paid quite a bit for it. I figured nothing would show better than that LCD. The previous year, I bought a LG 37LG30 37-Inch 720p LCD HDTV. I was looking for another 1080p 120 Hz LCD. I saw Brandsmart had this LCD on sale for only USD548.88.

PICTURE QUALITY

Pros: The picture is vivid, and colorful. Owners will notice the 3-D-like 120hz resolution aka the "Soap Opera" effect. This is called the Clear Frame. Of course, if you dislike this feature, it can be turned off.

Cons: I call the performance of picture quality 50-50 because the picture frames can be superb. However, other picture frames can be extremely fuzzy and pix-elated. This makes the LCD have an uneven performance. Unfortunately, this LCD has limited ways to control the black levels. Therefore, users WILL see many pix-elated frames on the screen, even on the HD channels. The limited picture options prohibits users from getting the best picture of this LCD.

GAMING MODE

For those, who have a PS3 or Xbox 360, this is by far, the best television to use to play the game. The picture is only enhanced with an HDMI cable. I thought the gaming mode on the Samsung was great, but Toshiba's is even better. I was playing Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3. The colors were increasingly vivid, images are sharper images, and extremely crisp sound.

SOUND

Speaking of the sound, it is very crisp. Not to mention, you do not have to turn it up to a high level, just to hear, clearly. My Samsung does not have intense sound, except when I play my PS3 on the gaming mode. I can turn the volume up to level four, and it is loud. However, I can watch a show, and have to sometimes turn it up to the double digits to hear.

MISC FEATURES

If you want to control another device with this remote, it can be done. Look in the owner's manual on page 26-27, and you'll see a list of various devices, which can be controlled by putting in a code. Just think of it as buying one of those remotes, which you put in the code, and it controls your telvision, VCR, DVD, etc.

This LCD even has a freeze mode, which can freeze a picture for 15 minutes. I don't see much of a use for it, now. I guess when I watch football, and rewind my DVR, I can pause a spectacular play. Keep in mind, the audio will still go live.

For those, who want to monitor how long your kid plays video games, Toshiba has a Game Timer. This feature can set a time limit, between 30-120 minutes. Once it expires, it will lock out the input source for the device. In other words, a code will have to be put in, so the user can play the game. Keep in mind, this feature will give a warning of shutoff in 10, 3, and 1 minute.

THE VERDICT

This LCD is pretty good. However, some owners may find themselves dissatisfied because of the inconsistence in the picture frames from program to program. Keep in mind, this television does NOT swivel!!!! This LCD is not worth keeping, in my opinion. I will be returning it for an LG 42LD520 42-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]