Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want a big screen and nothing else., September 20, 2011
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 9055-LM GPS navigator (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was kind of excited when I got this item.

I mean it's a Magellen, it has a huge 7 inch screen. It has lifetime maps and traffic. It is their top of the line model.

Well it has the big screen thing going for it, and that is about it.

The interface is slow and clunky, the touchscreen is not that responsive and you have to press down hard on the screen to make it register.

There is only one voice I could find to use. So if you don't like the voice you are in trouble.

The directions were good but the vocal directions awkward and you are alerted when to turn by a bell or a tone, not a voice, and there is no way to change this.

The color scheme on the screen is also pretty ugly and there is not way to change this either.

One nice feature is that the unit has built in blue tooth so you can pair it with your phone and use the GPS as a speaker phone. Which was nice if you don't have a headset or the speakerphone on your own phone isn't that loud.

The unit has built in lifetime traffic reports supposedly, I do not live an area that has this service so I could not report on it.

As a unit on the whole, it works, but isn't fancy. If you want a unit with a large screen, then this will work for you. If you want something intuitive to use with some nice extra features I would skip it. My major gripe with this unit is as follows:

This unit is also supposed to have lifetime map upgrades. I figure easy, just plug into my laptop, go to the website and load in the new maps. Not so easy. First you have to have the unit fully charged or connected to AC power before you connect it to your computer. Meaning the unit does not charge through the USB cable. Not a good thing. I know most map upgrade can take a few hours and my unit is going to be running on battery that whole time, poor engineering again.

Also even though the unit is supposed to have lifetime maps, the fine print reveals you are limited to four map upgrades a year. Why only four? Why not unlimited access to all maps.

Also the software and website often doesn't recognize that your unit is a lifetime upgrade unit. They even know this is a problem and have not fixed it. You go to the support pages and are told you need to call tech support (Which is only open 8am to 5pm west coast time) and be prepared to fax in your receipts to get your free map upgrade. What kind of support for free lifetime maps is that. If you want to buy the map upgrades yourself they are over $75! Until this process is fixed I would not bother purchasing this unit.

I can under stand the appeal of this unit if you have a hard time seeing the smaller screens, the big screen is nice, although in reality it may be too big. The features are average at best, other brands interfaces are much easier to use. On the who for Magellan's top of the line product, this is a real disappointment and I cannot recommend it.

If you have any questions about the unit, feel free to leave me a comment and I will try to get back to you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2011 10:06:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2011 10:12:06 PM PDT
So far the GPS technology does not support charging while on USB connected to a computer. At least this is my experience. I have had a Tom Tom One XL and a Garmin (forgot that model as it was 6 years ago). Neither of them would charge while connected to the computer.
The unlimited map updates seems to be standard to the GPS community also. Tom Tom also only has 4 updates a year even though I had unlimited updates. I can only assume this is due to the Constant changes to the road ways; it is logical to have four update periods/maps a year with cumulative updates from the last update. My issue is that 'with Tom Tom as least' they seem to still be 3 to 5 years behind on new construction in a lot of areas I have visited even after I notified them about such new construction. They do have an online area where people can add roads, etc. and they say although it is not CONFIRMED they do GET TO confirming it eventually.
Your review is very helpful I just wanted to add my $.02 worth!

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 12:52:22 PM PDT
Dora Isakova says:
Could you please tell which model is the best maybe different company.Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 1:09:21 PM PDT
Rawim says:
Dora,

In my opinion Garmin makes the best GPS unit for automobile use right now. I also tend to think they have the great range of overseas maps available to if you intend to travel outside of the country.

I would say the Garmin nüvi 2555LMT Garmin nüvi 2555LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic is probably as good as it gets right now. I prefer buying units with lifetime maps, as additional map updates can run as much as $50 a pop, and the garmin software to do maps updates is pretty simple and easy to use. The screen is smaller than the Magellan units but still eay to read under most conditions and the spoken word directions are pretty good. I hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 8:11:01 AM PDT
holmesrmh says:
Roadmate 9055-LM: Most of what this poster mentioned, I do not have a problem with at all. he said the touch screen is hard to use because he seems to have to press herd. Not me. Also, like some other posters have commented, 4 map updates a year is pretty standard. If you think about it, that is plenty. Say one a quarter per year. Seems fine to me. The display is nice looking not at all like the poster mentioned. It could be that he received a "lemon". All things man made have some "lemons". I hope he returned his unit and received one like mine. This is a great unit for the price I paid (I did a TON of research).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 8:18:16 AM PDT
Rawim says:
holmesrmh, I can completely respect your opinion on this product and on my review. Compared to other GPS units I have used and use currently this unit has the least responsive touchscreen. I will admit I do have big hands and I don't know if that affects things, but this unit gives me the greatest problems with trying to enter data via the touchscreen. I also don't have any problems with only 4 map upgrades a year, my main concern is that instead of having the roadmate website and software instantly recognize this is a unit is supposed to receive lifetime map updates you have to contact roadmate and get these updates authorized, which just seems like poor planning and execution in my opinion. But I also recognize this is solely my opinion, it appears you are very happy with yours and in that case congratulations I hope it brings you many years of good use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 12:27:21 PM PDT
holmesrmh says:
Thank you, Rawim. It is understandable that if you go from one make to another (Garmin to Magellan for example) you are going to experience some differences. Some of which you won't like. I just wanted people to know that I did not have any issues with my 7 inch device. I've had another Magellan and it was great too. Garmin is a good unit...but it's like anything electronic....you'll pay more for the "Garmin" because of the name. Besides Magellan is the only "major" brand that currently makes a 7 inch GPS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›