Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars Diet Food With Flavor!, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Fresh and Healthy DASH Diet Cooking: 101 Delicious Recipes for Lowering Blood Pressure, Losing Weight and Feeling Great (Paperback)
I just love cookbooks! It's so hard to come up with new recipes so it's great to have resources, especially healthy ones! This cookbook focuses on food that will help lower blood pressure and lose weight. I love recipes that are more than just weight control but actually make you healthier too. There is far too much emphasis in our country on weight and not enough on healthy ways to maintain it while also being healthy all around.

Now anytime I see the word "Diet" in something, I typically reject it immediately. I don't drink Diet soda and I don't go on diets. Why? Because I LIKE flavor! I'm not willing to sacrifice it just to stay healthier. I'm glad there are recipes out there for someone like me where I don't have to choose between flavor and healthy.

There are a few things I immediately liked about this book having nothing to do with the food. I love that the pages are smooth and can be wiped clean. Why aren't all cookbooks like that? I have several in normal paper where food got stuck and stained them. Yuck! It also has the lay flat binding. This is awesome for a cookbook! You don't want it to keep closing on you or have to use the old trick of putting something on it to keep it open.

Another thing I appreciate that is purely cosmetic is the picture of the foods! It's so important in cookbooks! I see something appealing I want to make before I read it! If a picture makes my mouth water, I'd say it's a good advertisement for the food.

There are three things at the bottom of each recipe that are amazingly helpful! The "Dash" part gives you information about what a good healthy substitute is and other tips like what vitamins are in it. The "shopping tip" has great little ideas about how to shop better and in ways that make more sense. The "Nutrition" section gives you more than the expected calorie count but also includes carbs, protein, fiber, fat and sodium. These are great tools to help you from beginning to end with your recipe!

I decided to try out the banana bread because it's a favorite of the kids and mine. The "dash" in this one was using maple syrup instead of sugar. How good does that sound? Unfortunately, it is left off of the instructions. Luckily I always go back and double -check the ingredients to make sure I didn't forget anything and saw the syrup was listed. I put it in at the end since it was missed. However, this did not impact the taste! It was amazing! I love maple syrup and will forever make my banana bread this way from now on! It helps to know I'm serving my kids something nutritional too because they always asks for seconds and thirds!

The gift of health is an amazing present so be sure to pick this up for your loved ones this Christmas!

[Add comment]