Reviewed in the United States on May 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I was in school for my MBA 10+ years ago, one of the mandatory books for an elective leadership course was  Corps Business: The 30 Management Principles of the U.S. Marines . When I found out I almost dropped the class - I thought "what on earth could a bureaucracy like the government and soldiers trained to "just follow orders" ever teach me about TRUE leadership??? I'm really glad I didn't drop that class, as of all the many, many books I had to read for that degree, that one is the one STILL on my shelf and is the one I continue to recommend to people over and over again. Whatever your views on the military, don't discount that book - it describes one of the most flexible and dynamic leadership styles for any business today. So why am I talking about that book instead of this one? Because this one is a keeper just as much as that one, and *surprise* - it's based on the Marine corps as well....

I was thrilled when I began reading "The Power of Communication" and realized that it, too, is based on the Leadership principles of the Marine Corps. From the first chapter I was sucked in, finding myself nodding and agreeing continually with the ideas and concepts described within the book. The author writes well and makes what could be complicated ideas very easy to understand (to the point that a reader might think "well DUH!", yet they may not have thought of it if left to their own devices...). He has a background working with businesses in the midst of current, former, or potential public relations issues and helps them correct those issues through his crisis management consulting firm, LOGOS.

The author is also great at describing the "why" of it - so that you truly understand, and with understanding you begin to realize the importance of seemingly simple things. He uses relevant, current examples to illustrate his points. Such as the Netflix faux pas another reviewer describes...Netflix informed their subscribers of a price increase and included an explanation that described how they hadn't anticipated certain market changes and how the price increases would benefit Netflix as a company. The subscribers don't care about the company's issues and instead it came across as self-serving, money grubbing by the company at the expense of the customers. According to the author, Netflix was talking AT their customers, rather than WITH them, and hadn't considered the customers when crafting their message.

Some of the main concepts presented in this book include:

1. Words matter, taking language seriously as a leadership discipline...adapt language to changing circumstances and to the reactions they generate

2. Words aren't enough...What a leader says sets expectations, but what a leader DOES determines whether trust rises or falls.

3. Take your audience seriously...connect with your audience members as living, breathing beings.

4. Speed, focus, and capturing the first move advantage...define your situation, motives, and actions before someone else does it for you.

5. Saying it isn't enough...master the bearing, physicality, and stagecraft of successful public leadership.

6. Audiences: gaining their attention and keeping it...learn how hearts and minds work and get them to work together for you.

Overall this is an amazingly useful book for anyone at any level of leadership or management (and those who aspire to be leaders). This, coupled with "Corps Business: The 30 Management Principles of the U.S. Marines" can give just about anyone a strong, solid foundation for true leadership - not the kind of leadership that's based on your title or position, but the type that comes from being the kind of person that people naturally admire and want to follow.

Excellent book!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink