Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 15, 2011
These bottles/toobs work great for getting at the more viscous goo you carry with you that often needs an extra "squeeze" (lotion, conditioner, sunblock, etc.) They feel squishy and are easy to use (even with lotion-covered hands). Goo can also be "banged down" to the opening, in the traditional way, if squeezing is not preferred.

This also makes refilling easier with more viscous goo, since the Toob is more flexible, you can do the "suck" down maneuver to make space as you fill it.

I have not yet tried these Toobs with less viscous goo (water, olive oil, dr bronner's soap, etc.). I have read reviews that they generally hold liquids well (to another reviewer: salad dressing? Brilliant!). If someone buys me an additional toob, or a three-pack, I will try it and report back. Humangear has a list on their site of things that are not compatible with their GoToobs (for one reason or another, some things "react" with the silicone" - sorry guys, no Liquid Stevia, or Scotch Whiskey in the GoToob).

The hole that the goo comes out of seems like a flex-valve that pushes out when the toob is squeezed and in a bit after (like a vacuum effect). Because of the "flaps" on the valve, thicker goo will come out in a star pattern (like cake decoration). A description I read states that they have a "no drip valve". Hindsight is always 20/20, if I had thought about it, I would have filled mine with water first, to test the no drip-ness factor. The flip-lid stays on well and is also easy enough to open when you intend to do so. There is an oval opening that spins 360-degrees, like a collar, and reveals text engraved on the Toob to help identify contents (lotion, shampoo, soap, etc). This hole is adjusted and held in place, according to the spinning of the cap piece. So, when you are refilling the toob, you can also select the proper text, then replace and tighten the cap, which secures the oval opening.

More features I dig:
- BPA-free
- food-grade silicone
- Looks groovy
- Feels squishy
- I can color-code if I want
- lifetime warranty and seems like a cool company
- stands-up on the valve end, to help goo move to the "business end" of the Toob when in "storage"

As an aside, verbally, I prefer to call them "GooToobs". I didn't even realize they were called "GoToobs" until recently and I forgot almost immediately, and still refer to them as "GooToobs". Kinda like how people call Tide-To-Go, "TideSticks". Or Goo-Gone, as "Goo-Be-Gone". Or refer to an iPod Touch, as an "iTouch". Each incorrect, but having a certain "ring" to them. For the purpose of this review, I will stick with the correct name, GoToob.

Questions I have:
- is it phthalate-free? (i assume yes, but don't know for sure)
- some have a suction-cup attached, so you can "temporarily" stick it to a wall or mirror (is this really practical, in use?)
- are these recyclable?
- is the cap & valve BPA-free? (again, i assume yes, but don't know for sure)
- can it really stand up to severe changes in air pressure (like when flying, or left in a hot car)? [UPDATE: thanks to S.M. Thatcher, who confirmed "no airplane leaks" in checked or carry-on baggage, via the comments section]

I have not yet flown with mine, so i cannot personally attest to the effects of flight and cabin pressure, but mine holds up well being bumped around in my purse and on my dashboard.

Possible uses (I have not tried all of these, just throwing some ides out there):
- the obvi: carry personal (H&B) goo for overnights, travel, & gym
- maybe carry smaller amounts of liquid vitamins, wellness fluids?
- maybe carry goo-like food products or condiments when travelling (mustard, ketchup, miso, butter, pesto)?
- maybe a more secure way to travel with powdered items like corn starch? (never tried it)
- maybe craft uses (paints, craft-goo, etc)?
- maybe as an atomizer/diffuser? (fill 1/3 full with distilled water & essential oils and "puff" scented air under your nose or drop onto skin, as needed, heeding all EO cautions)
- maybe for homemade toothpaste?
- if it holds water well, you can maybe use it as a quick-hi-pressure rinse solution when there is no clean or convenient running water (such as in a bathroom stall or while camping) - two purposes would be for teeth rinsing or gum irrigation (like an OralBreeze) or, if you use a DivaCup, Keeper, or MoonCup, this would be handy to rinse when there is no sink. I carry a trial-sized repurposed aloe squeeze bottle for this new purpose, but would consider switching, if I have the money when my aloe bottle breaks (7+ years, going strong!) Another aside: love my ShowerBreeze & DivaCup, both sold here on Amazon.

Nits I can pick:

I think the cap part is a bit large. For instance, I can put all of my current 7-10 travel-sized bottles/jars of goo in one TSA-approved-quart-sized plastic bag. If it's a good day, I can fit them in the smaller, sandwich-sized bag. This amount of goo will serve me well for up to a week of travel. These GoToobs take up much more space and I doubt if I would be able to fit even 5 of the 1.5 oz bottles (filled) in a quart-sized baggie. (Please report, if you have experience, as I only have one bottle, at the moment). If you travel for long periods, keep a GoToob or two in your gym bag, or just need more goo and/or just need 2 or 3 bottles for your different goo needs, then size/space may not be a concern for you. I didn't knock a star off, though, because this is a personal preference/needs issue and not a flaw in the product. I would like to see a smaller version, as another option (GoToob Micro).

Another issue I have with these GoToobs is that the cost (generally 6 to 10 dollars per bottle) is a bit high (even when you find a deal). I travel often and keep my "ditty bag" stocked for spontaneous trips, and have for almost 20 years, so I have lots of experience with travel bottles. Many of the trial size bottles you get at the supermarket (or in a hotel) can be reused many times before damage occurs and they need to be recycled. If you are careful with your packing, (and goo bottles usually go in a seal-able plastic baggie, anyway), you can minimize possible leakage in the event of a split bottle, or popped lid, etc. In all my 20 years of travelling, I have had this happen only a handful of times (once was from a too-rigid bottle which reached the end of its lifespan, once was from change in air pressure, and once was from an improper seal on the lid). Now, I know to reuse less rigid bottles when possible, I allow a bit of extra empty space in a bottle and I also squeeze it a bit before sealing it to allow for cabin pressure changes, and I am extra-vigilant when sealing lids. The GoToob does reduce the need for these extra steps (generally), but it also costs 5-7 times more than a trial bottle (or even more, if considering the dozen or so junk bottles that come in the "kits", that still work fairly well).

Because of the large amount of time I spend travelling, and the "neat-o factor" of them, I think these GoToobs will slowly replace my tried-and-true system of buying travel sizes and reusing the bottles. As I have gotten older, I have gotten more settled on my goo (personal products) and therefore, have less of a need to buy "trial" sizes. Plus, with all the potential non-H&B-Goo uses, I may be able to fill a need for which, previously, there was no solutionable product. In terms of financial savings, I could stop buying trial/travel sizes when I need to replace a well-used small bottle, and stick with just buying one GoToob and refilling it (and being generally secure in not losing product from a burst or leak). Based on the successful history with my old system, and the cost of GoToobs, it may take me a few years to convert to a majority of GoToobs for this (H&B goo-based) purpose, (depending on their low-viscous performance). I travel with about 7-10 goo products, (plus some sprays and a rock deodorant), so it would cost me about $40-60 to convert just my H&B goo (I already have one GoToob). I have probably spent about $35 in travel-sized bottles (pre-filled with usable goo) in my 20 years of travel (I refill them whenever possible, and often). So, if I find a bargain and these bottles last longer than 20 years (they DO have a lifetime warranty), I'm all set. If santa or a generous loved one buys them for me, even better! :)

In conclusion, these are handy toobs, and may prove more functional and useful than their original intended purpose of H&B goo refills for travelling. If you have a need (travel, gym, etc.) and can afford to buy them (over cheaper options) and do not already have a functional system in place for your H&B goo, these might be a great investment. Or, if you have a need that cannot be filled by another product on the market (like a mini refillable condiment container, or a travel micro-pressure washer), then these may do a great job at filling that void. They also make great gifts for college students, travellers, gym-frequenters, and people who work with their hands and wash and then use lotion on them a lot.

I rely on reviews here at Amazon to help me make informed buying choices. I hope this review has helped you in the same manner. If you voted this as helpful, I Thank You! :)
77 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?