Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 23, 2013
UPDATE:
After a year of having this device I still use it as my primary video recorder. I have found some quirks that are very easy to get around or deal with.

1: Sometimes the focus will not focus on the subject. This is hard to notice so I now have a habit of zooming in and out when I start recording. This seems to correct the issue.
2: When stopping recording the actual recording is cut off a little earlier than when the button was pushed. I now tend to let it record a little longer than I need to make sure it the video is not cut off.
3: Cant even count the times I have dropped it. Still works just fine.

ORIGINAL:

I did a ton of research when looking for a video recorder like this. I was tired of using phones to record video and getting inconstant results. Out of the box I was very pleased. It was big enough to hold on to but no so big my arm would get tired holding it. The interface and screen is nice but has a issues (below).

Pros:
The "Pistol" grip made it easy to hold.
Records great video in varied conditions with little effort.
The "iA" function is one of the best things about the camera. Makes taking videos in any condition a breeze.
Shock resistance just plain works. Our camera was dropped onto concrete from a height of about 3 feet and it still works. We did have to shut it down because the focus was stuck. But beyond that.. worked just fine.

Cons:
The menu system is just terrible and hard to navigate.
The controls are a bit strange and not very intuitive.
Hitting record/picture button when in the menus does nothing. It would be nice if it would exit the menus and start recoding without me having to exit manually.
Using the digital zoom is odd. It should just be part of the zoom and to it automatically. I shouldn't have to hit another button to change zoom modes.
Eats batteries quickly even in the standby mode.
There is no way to hide the overlay on the display.

One issue I ran into is the focus sticks. I had to power down the camera and turn it back on to get it to focus again. This happened even before it was dropped so I know that was not the cause. I found that if have a bright light in frame when you turn it on it takes it a bit to correct to the ambient light in the room.

Overall I am very pleased with it. For the cost, it puts to shame some of the other more expensive devices when it comes to video recording. It is just a shame that this great device has such a horrible menu system. I would have given it 5 stars but the menu system severely hurts the usability of the device.

The actual part that truly matters, recording video, gets 5 stars.
38 helpful votes