Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars waited a long time for this...big disappointment (no it's not..see update!), July 16, 2010
This review is from: Clingo Universal Hands-Free Car Mount for iPhone 4, 3G/3GS, and All Cell Phones and Mobile Devices (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Ever since this was announced I waited for it to come out and ordered it immediately when it became available. Bottom line is that the concept is a failure, at least for me. I tried this with my iPhone 4 and it just does not reliably hold the phone. I tried it while the phone was in an Incipio NGP matte case and it held for maybe 30 seconds. Fine, it does state that matte or textured cases do not work well with the device. Then I switched to a TPU (urethane) case and it held for about 3-4 minutes in a moving car and fell off again. Now the TPU case is not matte or textured and the urethane should have made a nice bond but it didn't.

Well, the final test was the caseless iPhone so the bond should be glass to clingo...and the phone fell after about 5 minutes. Mind you, all tests were conducted with a brand new clingo that had never been touched by fingers or come in contact with dirt or moisture...brand new out of the packaging.

The problem is exacerbated when you attach a car charger (I guess it creates some drag and additional weight). When I did that with the TPU case it lasted about 2 minutes before failure. I was not willing to do the test with the bare phone.

Bottom line is that the Clingo car mount utterly fails at its primary task which is holding you phone securely in your car. I had high hopes for this and really liked the concept, but I'm not willing to risk my phone and returned it to Amazon for a refund. Maybe an ultra lightweight phone will work, but certainly not the iPhone 4

Update 8/7/10

Well I spoke with Kelli Veening at Allsop and she was kind enough to send a replacement. The difference is like night and day. The new one holds my iPhone 4 very securely and it has not fallen yet. My first test involved driving to work (~35 minutes) on a winding, bumpy country road. My iPhone was in its TPU case and the car charger was attached. The iPhone did not budge and never came off...the car holder worked exactly as it was supposed to. About the only downside, which really isn't one but people need to be aware of it, was that the phone was held so securely that it took both hands and a bit of effort to actually remove it from the holder. Thanks Kelli for standing by your product, the Clingo mount now gets 5 stars IMO.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2010, 11:24:03 AM PDT
BusyMom says:
First, I want to personally say I am sorry for your initial frustation with this product. We did experience a few early production defective product cradles. We would love to replace the product FREE of charge if you would send me your address or call me directly at 360.734.9090 x306.

Please read this review which was posted today and I can ensure had final production (what is shipping today and on store shelves).
Clingo Universal Hands Free Mount Review - Road Trip Tested
@ Notebooks.com

Kelli Veening
Marketing Director for Clingo

Posted on Mar 24, 2011, 2:11:12 PM PDT
mongofrye says:
question about the clingo. I have a dell streak. larger and heavier than your average phone. i am concerned that it will droop and that the swivel is not very firm. Your thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011, 2:12:55 PM PDT
mongofrye says:
Kelli,

thought you might advise. same question, I have a dell streak 5. Will the swivel component support the weight of my device with drooping?

Posted on Jul 27, 2013, 11:28:12 AM PDT
R1SmokeEater says:
Received my Clingo the other day, looked foward to it. I read the reviews here, and saw a positive review posed on an online magazine saying it was one of the best.
First day I mounted it, did well around town. Took it on my first long trip to Jersey Shore, iPhone 5 on it so I could view the GPS maps ap. it did good the first 45 minutes, then I could see it didn't want to stick. Kept readjusting it and pushing phone into gel to restick it every few minutes, but that even that stopped workin. Phone fell off the mount a few times before I left it off the rest of the trip.
I admit I have the iphone5 in an Otterbox case, and was hoping it would work with case on it, as I'd never remove the case to use the mount. It did not work well at all, which some said it wouldn't, and some said it would.
I guess my next step is to try to modify the clingo to take the Otterbox clip itself, so,phone can be clipped into its holster. Anyone try this?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›