Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 10, 2004
I was SO thrilled to find that the Wizard of Oz animation series had come to DVD, that I bought it as soon as I could. Here was another piece of my childhood that I could eagerly put in my shelf, in a convenient format.
Sadly, this is not the entire series uncut, at least as shown on HBO or Disney's Family Channel in the 80's. I consulted an old recording I had of "The Marvelous Land of Oz", and there were definitely more than a few scenes missing from the version I saw on air.
It's really a shame, since I remember the eagerness with which I e-mailed LightYear Productions a long time ago, with a request for this series to be put on DVD (with no reponse). It really is a good show, with great one-liners, voice acting and art. It's probably good enough to entertain younger kids who won't know they're missing anything, but for the discerning collector of animation and 80's television, the amount of editing done is disheartening and unacceptable.
Which is not even mentioning the technical flaws of this release. While the picture quality is decent, the image jitters and jumps, and the sound continuously fades in and out - forcing the viewer to have the remote handy for raising and lowering the volume. There is no captioning option for the hearing impaired.
30 helpful votes