Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 29, 2011
The first few things I heard earlier this year about this then new and upcoming Whitesnake album weren't giving me a whole lot to be excited about. I read about how this new album would be composed of mostly ballads and how it wasn't all that good. Well I whoever wrote that must not have listened to the same album I did because 1) The album is mostly rockers and there aren't a very big number of ballads and 2) its as good as anything the band has ever put out and more (listen to the samples if you don't believe me). The number of pre-orders in the UK for Forevermore exceeded those of the new Britney Spears album and Classic Rock Magazine has released a "SnakePack" which includes the new album.

From the very first song, "Steal Your Heart Away", you have a good idea of the sound the band is going for with this album. This song is amazing, the great dirty blues sound is very present: the dirty riff, Coverdale's vocals and harmonicas, all rock'n'roll style with the "I Want It All, I Want It Now" chorus attitude make this a killer. I had to repeat it a few times before I could even get to the next track! "All Out of Luck" is a little heavier, an excellent rocker what can I say, nice chorus as well. "Easier Said Than Done" is what I'd call a feel-good ballad, very laid back but it is obviously carried by the guitars and not pianos as is usual. I very much like this ballad; it got me right from the beginning with that cool slow guitar intro. "I Need You (Shine A Light)" is simple and very effective rock, a catchy song. "Tell Me How" is in the same line as the previous song, in which Coverdale asks the eternal question: "How can I win you love?". "Love And Treat Me Right" is a bit predictable and cheesy when it comes to lyrics but it all works and is terrific rock really, one of my favorite songs here, try not to sing to that typically 1980's chorus! "One of These Days" is another great ballad, well more of a feel-good radio song that makes everything a little better just by the comforting sound of the acoustic guitars and honest lyrics. "Whipping Boy Blues" is filled with bad boy attitude as the title suggest. When the songs kicks in with the heavy and crunchy guitars and David screams his way through like a pro, you know you're in for one killer track and it's one of the highlights of the album for sure. Just when you think it's over the title track surprises the listener by being an unpredictably highly melodic, touching song. Incredible performance and powerful lyrics, after 3 minutes the songs shifts to a heavy perspective and never lets you go, fantastic guitar work. I nominate this one of the best song Whitesnake has ever done, no wonder this song ended up being the title of the album.

David Coverdale sounds amazing for a guy pushing 60; I mean he can still sing quite well and not many rock singers compete with him as far as I'm concerned. Give the guy a break, his voice sounds excellent even if it does sound a bit rough in some parts but Coverdale still has it, there is no doubt! The new `Snakes bassist Michael Devin and former Billy Idol drummer Brian Tichy are proving here to be a very tight rhythmic section (how about that cowbell eh?), this will surely make for a great live lineup. Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach are excellent guitarists and they prove why once again, they do what needs to be done and then more.

It's quite simple; the more I listen to Forevermore, the more I like it! It's still very early in 2011 to decide the best albums of the year but I have a feeling this one will end up being in the top releases. In comparison to the previous album Good To Be Bad which was a lot more 80's oriented (Think of 1984's Slide It In and 1987's Whitesnake), Forevermore goes for a bluesy rock sound of their earlier sounds from the late 70's and early 80's. Good To Be Bad was a great album and it was great to have Whitesnake back with a classic sound but I think Forevermore is even better. To me this new Whitesnake album is everything the band is, it's just dirty-blues rock fun time, nothing complicated, just pure rock you know? There is definitely a difference in sound if you compare with the last album. But Forevermore doesn't just merely go back to the sound of a certain era, it updates the sound to the current year and you get value for your money. I'm one of those who still buy many CDs and these days few of the new albums (either by classic or new bands) thrill me and Forevermore is one of those few. If you've ever been a fan of Whitesnake or simply like the band OR if you're maybe looking to get into the band, Forevermore is an excellent album that both fans of the band and rock music can enjoy.
88 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?