Reviewed in the United States on March 18, 2020
Over the years, I have read a number of books by Aubrey Wynne, including both her historical and contemporary romances. I'll admit to being partial to her historical romances. Like her others of this subgenre, I found this novel to be an absolute delight. While the hero and heroine were well drawn and nuanced, she was also able to imbue the secondary characters with personality and compelling traits, making them much more than just background characters as often happens in romance. I liked how the heroine was both strong and vulnerable, each trait growing out of her background and family history. I quite enjoyed the hero and heroine’s first meeting at a ball in London where they both seemed to appreciate each other's strength of character. Of course, nothing goes smoothly for them, and the circumstances become quite complex. but what I liked in particular was that Ms. Wynne didn't make anyone in particular a villain, melodramatic, or overly angry, as often happens when complex family situations arise in novels. Rather, the characters' interactions and reactions seemed realistic and just right. A thorough delight, which I highly recommend.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink