Reviewed in the United States on March 20, 2020
This is both a typical and an atypical historical Western romance. At its heart is the Western mail-order bride trope, though this one goes awry right away. The would-be groom got our heroine out to Nevada under false pretenses. He's not looking for a bride but another prostitute for his brothel! Luckily, she is rescued by a man who passes by and reacts without thinking when he hears a woman scream.

I thought the author did a really good job of setting up the initial scene with the hero as he is trying to prospect for gold in the Sierras. Wwe can get a sense precisely of what the hero sees, thinks, and does. He is an unlikely hero, a big man who has lived on his own most of his life but has learned prospecting in the wilds of Nevada. He's not book smart or social, and his word choice and grammar reflects his background. But at heart, he's a decent man who can't help but interfere and take care of those who are weaker than him, especially when those people are in peril, like our heroine when they first meet (and throughout). I loved the couple’s rocky beginning as it seemed realistic, and I liked watching the way they came to appreciate each other.

This book does have some issues with grammar, punctuation, and usage. I did receive an ARC copy, so I checked on Amazon's website to see if the errors I saw were in the published book. Some had been cleaned up, but not all. What seems most peculiar about this author, and most consistent, is that he seems to have a problem with joining dependent clauses to the independent clauses that they modify; not all phrases can make a sentence fragment. Other than that, though, I did thoroughly enjoy this book.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink