Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 4, 2012
Lucy Satin has always seen things, always talked--since she was able to talk--to the wispy white spirits that floated around her. Her family, who think she's insane, take her, at the ripe age of 5 years old, to a lunatic asylum. Now, 12 years later, with the help of Takis, an altogether different sort of spirit, and fellow inmate Seth, she has escaped and is running for her life.

My thoughts: Alistar has created an incredibly troubled heroine. Lucy meets with one catastrophe after another, and you will find yourself rooting for her the whole time. The ending, though, was completely unexpected, leaving me shocked and trying to puzzle out whether I liked the book or not. It's complex. I was forced to question everything I had just read. Alistar is a good enough writer to make it work. Did I feel betrayed? Definitely. My first instinct was something like Ralphie, in A Christmas Story, when he finds that his mysterious secret message from Little Orphan Annie was really a crummy commercial. In fact, while I didn't toss the book across the room, not wanting to break my Kindle, I probably echoed Ralphie's words.

However, I've continued to think about the story, the characters, the setting. So I have been alternating between liking it and not liking it, and just flat can't decide. I'm giving it 4 stars out of 5 just because I haven't been able to let the story go. That's the hallmark of a good writer and an intriguing story. I'll definitely be looking for more books by Alistar.

To see the original review, visit [...]
What's this?