Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Impressive - But Some Quibbles, June 30, 2009
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1350 Series 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Overall, I am very satisfied with the Garmin nuvi 1350 but I do have a couple of minor complaints.

First of all, I do recommend that owners/potential buyers visit the Garmin web site to read through all of the product information and to review the FAQs. Some folks have made an issue of Garmin not including the USB cable with the device but this did not matter to me. The required cable is a standard type "A" to mini "B" USB cable. Many other devices use this same cable and I already own a couple of them. (I also heard that if you contact Garmin customer service, they may send you a cable at no charge.) Other reasons to visit the Garmin site: to register the product, to download the full PDF manual and to install the "my Garmin Agent Plugin" for web updates.

Next, my quibbles:
When the 1350 is plugged into a charging device (PC or vehicle), there is no way to determine when the unit is fully charged. This is very inconvenient. To view the charge level, you have to unplug the device and turn it on. Only then can you see the battery level. According to the Garmin FAQs, charge time is about 4 hours using the vehicle cable and 8 hours using the PC cable.
One of the features of the 1350 is the speed limit display. However, I find this to be of limited value. The speed display is frequently 5 to 10 mph too high compared with the actual posted speeds on the roads being traveled. As a result, this throws off the estimated destination arrival time.

Finally, why I am impressed:
When driving with the 1350, I never had any doubt where I was at any given time and I never had any doubt what my next maneuver would be (and isn't this the bottom line of any GPS?). The voice commands have plenty of volume, are easy to understand and they also give you adequate lead time for upcoming turns. The commands will also repeat but the voice is not annoying. Several times, I deliberately missed a turn to test how the 1350 would respond. It quickly calculated a revised route based on my current location.
I also found the screen to be clear and easy to see while driving (in bright sun, shade and at night).
The full manual states that a PDA type stylus can be used for the touch screen. I found this to be convenient (I'm actually using a stylus from a Nintendo DS.) While you can certainly use your finger on the screen, this will leave fingerprints and smudges on the screen.

Other notes:
I have the 1350 sitting on my dash with the Garmin "Portable Friction Mount" - highly recommended.
My 1350 came with a free case - the Caselogic MGPS-2. This case adequately protects the 1350 when it's not being used.

Overall, this has been a great purchase for my business travels and I would rate the unit as four and a half stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2009 7:09:12 AM PDT
I just purchased a 1350 and the battery was pretty much dead on arrival. So without my USB cable I'll have to have it charge in my car. I called Garmin and they wouldn't send me a free one (as the suggested), but told me it would cost $14.99 + $8.99 shipping for one. He also said that they have mentioned it to management but so far it continues to ship without the USB cable. The voice quality on this unit is outstanding!

Posted on Jul 31, 2009 9:36:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2009 10:21:42 AM PDT
Gabby2010 says:
With the Garmin 1350 ($280.00) you get the car charger, so in the end these are the accessories:

Needed:

USB Cable: $14.99
Memory Card: $20-25 (does it have internal memory or do I need the card?)

Optional:

AC Adapter: $20
Portable Friction Mount :40
Case: $15-20

So, we are looking at up to $400, depending on what you buy in addition to the GPS itself. I still can't believe they don't supply the USB cable.
PLUS $9 or more to buy the pedestrian maps

I read the issues others were having with the charging. It's making me 2nd guess if I want to purchase this or not....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 10:20:59 AM PDT
It pretty much is ready out of the box, but I couldn't use mine until I charged it was the battery was dead. It only comes with a car charger, NO wall charger or USB to computer cable. I think at least the USB should be included... because without it, you cannot even register your unit or download updates to the map! Overall, I really love this GPS, the voice quality is incredible, I just with it has a better dock for the car (One that powered on the unit when snapped in). Definitely a keeper!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 11:02:01 AM PDT
Gabby2010 says:
Thanks! I do have an additional question maybe you can help me with. If I have AC power adapters form other products and USB cables from the digital camera woudl those work with the Garmin 1350?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 11:18:17 PM PDT
As far as I know, the USB cables would work, as long as they are the mini kind for the GPS end. I didn't want to take any chances and just purchased a GARMIN USB cord. With respect to the power adapter, I had purchased a generic one online for my previous 750 model, and it did strange things after charging the GPS fully .. like when I unplugged the cable from the GPS, the unit all of a sudden reformatted itself, erasing all my data and returned to factory settings. I had not done anything other than unplug it to the wall. Garmin support said that they have seen inferior quality cables do bizarre things like that. So I guess it's off to buy a GARMIN OEM adapter for me! Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 11:24:14 PM PDT
I'd still buy it. Like I said, I'm very happy with the way it has performed. It did tell me today to turn down some dead end streets (upon recalculating) today, but I imagine that's probably more a map issue than anything else. You can find some low cost memory cards (that are of good quality) online, so that's not a big issue. I will end up buying a memory card, just to make sure I have enough memory, but it's probably not completely necessary unless you save a lot of data. AC Adapter? Not completely necessary, just convenient. Case? Probably necessary (I just about dropped mine 3 times today.. how clumsy can I get?). Friction mount? Another personal preference. I do fine with the suction cup mount provided in my vehicle. $280? Nice price .. I paid a LOT more (and still am happy with my purchase).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2009 10:12:49 AM PDT
Gabby2010 says:
Thanks for your feedback!

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 6:18:22 AM PDT
C. Remme says:
All you need is a standard USB A to USB B mini cable. There are cheap USB cables out there like many of the ones that recoil because of their very thin wire. If you have one that came with your digital camera it will work on your Nuvi. Digital cameras are the most sensitive to cable quality from my experience. If you have to purchase one get one that has some quality to it.

Posted on May 3, 2010 7:13:46 PM PDT
HSA says:
When you say the speed display is 5 - 10 mph higher than actual posted speeds. I think this serves the purpose and is pretty smart because you never drive AT the speed limit, you always drive 5-10 mph higher depending on the road

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 9:49:39 AM PDT
In my case it always gives my speed 4-5 lower then readings on the speedometer. I understand that we are not speaking about military quality target acquisition and weapons guiding system, when satelite is able to assess speed of the target with precision sufficient for purposes, but why to bother and add absolutely useless function, and overcrowd display with inaccurate information.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›