Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

2,418 of 2,499 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Senior Citizen Review of Ipod Touch, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 8 GB Black (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased my Ipod Touch 8G in January, 2011 just for fun and to see what all the fuss was about. I use a laptop and have wireless connectivity in my home. But I don't store music on an Ipod and don't have "smart" cell phone. After using the Ipod Touch for a few months, all I can say is "WOW".

This device is like carrying a small computer in your pocket. I can connect to the internet wirelessly at home and anywhere I can find a public connection--library, cafe, etc. I check my email (read and compose), facebook, Meetups, Ravelry, take pictures and movies, and with the Skype App, can video call my kids. I have become hooked on the Angry Birds game, which is fun to do while waiting anywhere. I have also downloaded audio books from my library to take with me when I travel. I knit and have any pattern I am working on loaded on my Touch so I don't worry about losing it. All this in a 2x4 inch little device I can carry with me everywhere.

I considered getting a smart phone instead, but Verizon's additional mandatory monthly cost of $30/month turned me off. It would be nice to have internet access where ever I am, but I don't need it and don't want to pay $360/year for it. I like the fact that the Ipod Touch does not require any additional monthly costs.

I compared my Touch to my friends Ipad. It appears that my Touch does most everything the Ipad does, but the Touch is so much smaller.

My son has a Droid, which does what my Touch does plus it is his cell phone. But games wear his battery down quickly. I don't have to worry about that since my phone is separate from my Touch.

If I needed to be connected to the internet at all times and have a cell phone too, I would probably stick with a smart phone and pay the extra $30/month. But if you want a very versatile tool in a small package to carry with you, I highly recommend the Ipod Touch.

So much fun!

August 17, 2012 Update--Everything I said in my review still holds true. The Ipod Touch is a quality product--really it is a tiny Ipad. I hope Apple comes out with a smaller Ipad, say a 7 inch model. A larger screen would be nice for reading and playing games and would still be small enough to carry around easily.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 111 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 7:59:13 AM PST

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 8:12:02 PM PST
J. Thomas says:
I am most intrigued...how do you load your knitting patterns onto the Ipod?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 9:14:11 PM PST
Sanjosemom says:
Using my printer/scanner, I scan the pattern I need and save it on my laptop as a PDF document. Then I move the document to the itunes "bookshelf". When itunes sync' s with my ipod touch, the pattern is loaded on the touch. It is really very easy.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 1:25:32 AM PST
Chifan7 says:
Thanks for a really great review. I already own the 2nd gen. of the Touch and Absolutely LUV it! I am upgrading and getting the 4th gen. Enjoy your new iPod. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:39:21 AM PST
J. Thomas says:
Thanks so much. I am getting an iPod touch for Christmas. I can't wait to try this. I am always leaving the house without my knitting patterns!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 3:55:01 AM PST
MST55 says:
I was going to write a review if the iPod Touch...but I see you have written it for me. This is the first iPod I have ever owned and I love it. My husband had an iPad at the time that I got this and I saw that I was able to do a lot of the things he could do on the iPad. I now have my own iPad, but I almost like the Touch better. Like the iPad, I am able to use it with my home wifi and anywhere else wifi is available. And it fits in my pocket or purse! I love it!

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 3:19:11 AM PST
RBSF says:
Wonderful review! It's easy to imagine owning one the way you describe it in daily use. I was on the fence between an older iPod 160GB and this item. Now I'm pretty sure what I'm going to buy. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 12:34:02 PM PST
P. Hillman says:
Thanks for this review! I just "inherited" one of my son's ipods b/c they both have iphones and don't need the ipod anymore. This is all so very helpful since I want to use the ipod for the exact same reasons you mentioned....without adding another $25-30 a month data plan to my phone bill.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 8:42:54 PM PST
Beegee says:
I loved my iPod Touch, too (wifi) but it died having spent the night outside in a rain storm. I was devastated. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab to replace it, but I returned it because it wasn't as user friendly. I spent too much time trying to figure things out. I'm on the fence now trying to decide whether to buy another iPod or an iPad (big bucks). I did love being able to put it in my pocket & type e-mails quickly using my thumbs, but it was hard reading articles, etc. on a small screen. I thought it would be easier reading & browsing articles on the net with a larger screen. Can't seem to decide... Any persuasions?

p.s. With WiFi, I usually have really slow connections, always buffering when trying to watch videos, etc. It could be either the router or slow cable service. Anyone else have this problem? But, like you, I don't have a need for a phone...

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 2:12:02 PM PST
ohsnapiam56 says:
I, too, am a senior using my first Ipod Touch. I use a Mac at work and I don't like them so I hesitated for a whole year before my old mp3 player died and I finally decided to take the plunge. I gotta say, I love it. The only downside is I can't have ITunes on my computer at home, or at least, it wasn't been very successful with my OS (I use Ubuntu). So I have to load all my songs at work. Once I figure a way to load ITunes on my computer at home so that it works consistently, I'll be set. The next one I buy (yes, there is going to be a 'next one') will have more memory. My old mp3 player had 8gs so I thought that would be ok. It is but I didn't realize the potential of an Ipod, so my next purchase will definitely be more than 8gs. ITM I am loving it.