Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 17, 2012
I purchased the GX1 reluctantly because my GF1 is a very good camera and I was concerned that the improvement would be so minor that I would have wasted my money. It turns out my concerns were unfounded. The GX1 is a major improvement both in terms of image quality, particularly at higher ISOs, and usability, specifically the touch screen. The additional pixels are useful, but not as relevant as the overall improvement in image quality. Images shot at ISO 800 and 1600 are quite good with the GX1, whereas the GF1 began to seriously degrade at these ISOs. I'm a fan of selective focus and being able to set the focus area by simply touching the live image on the screen is truly helpful. With the GX1's predecessor, using the buttons to set the focus area often took so much time that the "moment" was long lost. Overall, this is a fine camera and a major improvement over the GF1.

Note that I have high expectations of a camera. I've owned nothing but high-end professional cameras for the past decade, including the Nikon D1X, D2X and my current 24-megapixel D3X. But I find myself using the GX1 more than 50% of the time, now. The combination of size, good looks, image quality and overall convenience is hard to beat at the moment.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?