Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Oh my gosh, this book is *amazing*. AMAZING!

This is the creative/art book I have been waiting for. I'll confess I had no idea who Mati Rose McDonough was- I wasn't at all familiar with her work or her art or her blog. I ordered the book on a whim because of its cover and title.

I am just overjoyed- it's *such* a wonderful book. It's full of not only inspiration, encouragement, wonderful information, but also step-by-step techniques using the basic supplies that we all have- acrylic paints in bright colors, brushes, pencils, paper or canvas. There's no fussy projects in this book- instead, McDonough basically lays out the way she approaches different foundations of art (painting, collage, image transfer, drawings, map-making, etc.) and then invites the reader to put their own spin on it. But in the process, she doesn't keep anything "secret" or hoard her techniques.

I am so inspired. I own a LOT of art books, and the ones I don't own I constantly thumb through at the local bookstore. This is just such a refreshing change from what's normally out there. It's both a creative kick-starter (with ideas for different ways of gathering inspiration and ideas), a book full of encouragement (McDonough shares her own path as she became an artist, and how it wasn't always smooth sailing), and pages of techniques to either emulate or dip into, as you see fit.

I was looking for a book to inspire and educate me, and in "Daring Adventures in Paint", I found both. I rarely come away from creative books buzzing with excitement to get started on new projects, but I really feel like McDonough's enthusiasm and passion flowed through her writing and her art and right into me. Sorry if this sounds all very "wavy gravy" but I'm just truly thankful that I took a risk and judged a book on its cover.

Highly, highly recommended for anyone looking to learn new techniques, or just expand their person definition of what being an artist is.
0Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.