Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 11, 2006
I'm a huge fan of cast-iron, so when I was in the market for a griddle I turned to Lodge. This is actually the first new cast-iron pan I've owned (the others I was lucky enough to inherit from my Grandmother), and while I know how to season one properly, it was worth the convenience to buy one preseasoned.

I broke-in the griddle with some pancakes (an Alton Brown recipe) and they turned out amazing, better than any others I've ever had or made. The heat retention of cast-iron really makes a difference, and the low sides of the griddle made flipping the pancakes simple. The size of the griddle was perfect for my range and allowed me to make either 4 small pancakes or 3 medium sized ones at the same time. They browned perfectly and didn't stick at all (per the recipe I buttered the pan and then wiped the excess off between pancakes).

I know cleaning might intimidate those unfamiliar with cast-iron but it couldn't be simpler. If there is no burned food on it, just wipe it down with a cloth (I actually use a wad of paper towels) dampened with warm water right after you're done cooking. While the griddle still is still warm (which will be for quite a while), put a light layer of vegetable oil on the cooking surface and you're done. If there was some burned food on it, just start by scrubing it lightly with a stiff bristle brush and warm water (once again, easier if the griddle is still warm) and then dry off and oil.

Once again, this is a great griddle that makes great food and is simple to take care of. If you've never tried cast-iron before, you'll be amazed how much easier it is to cook on since it has no hot spots (once it's warmed up) and retains heat for a long time. Just be sure to get a good mitt or cover for the handle. Also, if you have a lot of people to cook for, I might suggest getting two of these griddles instead of a large one that spans multiple burners (unless your burners are close together or gas).
22 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?