Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

7,391 of 7,861 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with one critical flaw. (significantly improved), April 3, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Having received my Fire TV today, I've been trying it out for the past couple of hours.

Setup was a no brainer. It required an update immediately so it did take about 15 minutes to have it in action but the process was very simple.

The image quality (movies and games) is excellent. I've tried several movies from Amazon Prime and they look and sound nearly Blu Ray quality as far as I can tell.

Navigation is very straightforward and it's generally easy to find anything you're looking for. Installation of games and apps goes very smoothly and generally pretty quickly.

The remote works very well. I haven't played with the voice search feature much yet, but when I have tried it, it worked well. The buttons on the remote are well thought out and I prefer it to the Apple TV remote.

I only have one gripe. As far as I can tell, there's no way to limit the list of movies and tv shows to what is available for Amazon Prime members. This makes it very inconvenient to find things that are free to watch. There are some categories that are limited to Prime (Most Popular on Prime, For Kids on Prime) I want to be able to just see what's available for Prime or at least be able to see by category what's available for Prime. I'm sure this isn't an oversight. I suspect Amazon wants to force us to look at everything and be tempted to buy/rent things but if they really want to compete with Netflix, they'll understand that we pay for our Prime membership to be able to watch free movies conveniently. A workaround is to do your searching on the web and then search specifically on the device.

Perhaps I just haven't found the way to search for Prime available content. I hope that's the case or I will really be disappointed.

Update 7/21/2014:

The latest software upgrade as significantly improved the device for Amazon Prime members - addressing most of my original complaints.

Now that there is an entire section dedicated to Prime content, it is much easier to find things without having to wade through pay to view content. I wouldn't mind seeing more 'categories' to search through, but don't want to diminish the improvement.

It's still not possible to search and return only Prime content. I think it should be possible to tell the device (when you search) that you only want returns from what is available for free to Prime members.

The new 'Music' option looks intriguing but seems to have no purpose at this point. Not sure why it was added, but I hope it grows into a useful feature given the new Prime Music package.

I would also like to see some sort of DLNA feature added. As one who rips all content that I buy (blu rays, dvds, cds) to a computer on my Network, I would very much like to be able to stream this material to the FireTV. Adding support for a connected USB device is not a solution for me. I have no intention of keeping two copies of all this material.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Joseph Dewey says:
Excellent review!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 7:48:42 PM PDT
WorknMan says:
This may not be ideal, but if it's like other devices I've used that stream Amazon videos, you can search for them on the website, and then queue them up to be played on the device.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 11:42:41 AM PDT
John says:
Accurate review and wish they would put a PRIME tag on searched movies also.

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 12:48:30 PM PDT
Phil J says:
I've had no problem finding Prime only Movies etc using the voice command- I just say Prime Adventure, Prime classic etc and the requested categories show up on screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2014 10:16:58 PM PDT
S. Emert says:
I do this, "Prime Scifi Movies" and Gravity is the number two result.. Nope don't think that works Phil...

Please tell me how I browse Prime only SciFi movies? How about how I browse Prime only Scifi TV shows?? Wait, I cannot? But I can do just that on a Roku!! I am angry.....

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 9:43:47 AM PDT
MAC says:
I just bought my first SmartTV (Samsung) & found there is no option to list Prime movies/TV from the Amazon App as well. I'm disappointed but will, as you've mentioned, jump on my PC to find a listing. I'm certain this is a convenient oversight. Well played Amazon, well played.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2014 9:51:25 AM PDT
WorknMan says:
Remember, if you find something you want to watch from your PC, there should be a button there to add to your 'watchlist', so you can then watch it on the Fire TV. Should also be able to do the same with Netflix. For me, this was always easier than searching directly from the TV and/or set-top box, so the voice search is just a gimmick that I don't really need.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2014 9:55:19 AM PDT
WorknMan says:
BTW: When you're on the Amazon website, go to 'Shop by Department -> Movies -> Movies, Music & Games -> Amazon Instant Video'. On the top right, there should be a link called 'Prime Instant Video'. That should get you your list of Prime movies.

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 12:24:27 PM PDT
M. McHale says:
This issue with Prime only search is present on all Amazon enabled devices I've used, not just on this Fire TV. I agree it is very annoying. I have this issue on my HDX tablet, Panasonic Plasma and Samsung LED TVs

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 7:52:06 PM PDT
xcea says:
Being able to search only the prime videos would be a game changer. As it is now prime instant video and Netflix are not even the in the same category. Some will say well no one can do that search so its not fire's fault. Amazon owns both sides of the interface and can make it do anything they want it to do.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Next ›