Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Doubles life, and gives more play time! :), June 24, 2011
This review is from: Nyko Power Pak+ for 3DS (Video Game)
When this product was first announced, I was stoked to go get it. When it released and reviews started popping out, I was pretty peeved by it. Most reviewers sounded whiny that the thing added so much weight to it! I was really only stoked for the extended battery, as the Nintendo 3DS has God-awful battery power. So, since I purchased the 3DS on Amazon, I got a $10 promotional voucher good towards any Nintendo 3DS accessory, so long as it shipped from Amazon. Go figure, I bought the Nyko Power Pak+ with the Charge Base.

I received it, and I installed it, which was easy-peasy. It takes less than five minutes to do. They even give you a cute little screwdriver to do the job! When I charged it up and all, I got straight into playing my 3DS games, and oh boy, did I run it on punishing settings. I'll explain the results in a bit. Basically though, it does its job.

Does the Power Pak+ Do It's Job?

The short answer: YES. The long answer, yes, it does so by a long shot. It's a much higher capacity battery. I got the device two weeks ago, and I've been draining it dry ever since I got it for the sake of a review. What I did was run a series of four tests. I tested them with different settings, the two optimal ends of the scale, and compared the results. All tests were run with a 3DS Game in the game slot.

Test 1: Standard Battery with Max Brightness, Wifi ON, Power Saver OFF
Duration: ~2 Hours 34 Minutes

Test 2: Standard Battery, with Lowest Brightness, Wifi OFF, Power Saver ON
Duration: ~4 Hours, 37 Minutes

Test 3: Nyko Power Pak with Max Brightness, Wifi ON, Power Saver OFF
Duration: ~5 Hours, 02 Minutes

Test 4: Nyko Power Pak with Lowest Brightness, Wifi ON, Power Saver ON
Duration: ~8 Hours, 26 Minutes (I'm gonna test this one again, it seems off...)

As the results above show, the battery really adds a much bigger punch than what you would get if you had chosen to stick with Nintendo's stock battery. My biggest fear was that since I go on trips on a frequent yet sporadic basis, I would be stuck having to do something like read a book for a duration of the trip. I don't have a DS Lite or DSi anymore, so that's a bust. But with Nyko's Power Pak+, I don't have to worry too much about it anymore! Yeah, it won't last the transatlantic flight from California to Tokyo, Japan, but it'll provide much more runtime than usual.

What Did I Like and Dislike About the Nyko Product?
PROS
-Adds much more battery playtime
-Looks sleek, adds a floaty appearance to console
-Has depressions on the bottom to make your hands comfortable
-Easy installation if you know how to handle a screwdriver

CONS
-Adds more weight to a heavy console
-Harder to stuff in a pocket
-Still cannot last through a transatlantic flight
-Slightly acrid smell from rubber (maybe it's just me)

One facet I would like to address is the overall weight of the console. Many people were whining about how they thought that the battery would add a large amount of weight to the console. It's obviously going to do just that. It's a higher capacity battery, and that's a sacrifice you'd have to take. But, to be honest, the weight is really insignificant. In actually, it helps neutralize the heavier top screen and adds just the right amount of push to make the console balanced. It really helps a big-handed guy like me, and makes playing much more comfortable.

The charge base comes with the battery because when the battery is installed, it becomes useless with Nintendo's stock charge dock. It also accepts the Nintendo 3DS stock charger! I like the drop and charge play method, so I went out and bought this toy too. What you need to understand is that there are two bundles to purchase. The first one only has the battery, at $19.99 MSRP. The second bundle has the battery and the Charge Base, for a price of $29.99 MSRP.
Basically, the charge base is a rather sleek dock, with three metal pins to connect to the Power Pak+. It's the same as the 3DS dock, but it has a red and green LED light to signal charging and finished charge, respectively. The blue LED is a power indicator. Simple to use, and looks nice. It's easy to tell when your charge is done because the light turns bright green.

Things To Keep in Mind!

1. When installing the battery, change it quickly but carefully. At most, 99% of the time, you will have to reset the date and time on the 3DS system.
2. Make an initial charge RIGHT AWAY, and DO NOT PLAY with the 3DS during this charge. Some users have filed complaints that their StreetPass data deleted and could not function properly!
3. When using the Charge Base, the battery indicator will take a few minutes to display a full battery on the 3DS menu. It's regular since the battery is high capacity.
4. Use this accessory at your own risk. Apparently, it's not a Nintendo approved item, and will (sadly) void the warranty.

[Add comment]