Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Glitchy, Structured, but involving, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I've followed this story line since game 1. I fell in love with the original just because of the freedom in it. You always went at your pace, you chose what starter quests you did before going for the big kill, and there were almost no restrictions. You could either go kamikaze on your targets or be stealthy. You could stay and fight the guards afterward or bolt away.

The second game added to that. You still had a sense of freedom only they added so much more. The armor, the weapons, everything was customized to your own wants. You got to rebuild the villa which was fun. And the story was a bit longer.

Now Brotherhood, I had high expectations for. Based on how epic the last two were I thought this would be even better. However, I was taken aback by a few things.

First things first, this game is incredibly glitchy. For those that haven't experienced what me and my close group of friends have, you are extremely lucky. Because we've been randomly desynced, gotten stuck to the point where you have to restart the game, didn't have our targets show up a few times and more. It can be really terrible in multiplayer. The heads up factor will sometimes completely disappear in multiplayer sometimes leaving you in a weird sort of eagle vision. Sometimes you lose your kills or don't get your allotted points for them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Borgia towers, Romulus lairs, and rebuilding Rome. For the most part you had free rein with this, you could do it however you wanted. Customizing the colors of your armor was cool because you could mix and match capes. The addition of heavy weapons to carry around like the big axe and sword was AWESOME. Also the improved mounted horse combat was excellent. I loved being able to ride a horse through the streets of Rome.

To counter that, the free rein for your major missions is almost shot. Sure most of the time you can do it your way.... if you don't want full sync. My first time through, I didn't get full sync on anything. They will actually require you in order to get full synchronization, to kill your targets or do something in a specific way. You either had to use your assassin recruits, hidden blade, smoke bomb etc. This might just be me, but when I play a sandbox type game like this, I'd like to choose how to kill my target. Also a majority of these missions you cant be detected in. I know the game is built around stealth, but the last game had a good medium with that. We all have days where we don't want to tip toe around and we want to go Leroy Jenkins on everything. You're SOL if you're doing a main mission and that's the case. You will get desynchronized if you get caught. Furthermore if a guard even sees you, you BARELY have anytime to silence him. You either need to never be seen by anyone or be right behind him. I've had moments in the game where I silence one guard and a guard beneath me who isn't even in my line of site catches me and I desync.

The multiplayer was really super epic when I first started it. I bought the game the first day it came out and I did a manhunt my first time. I came out in 4th place on my first try which isn't bad. I really enjoyed doing it. I took a break for two days, returned to it and everyone was over level 20 while I was level 2. I was immediately under-powered on every aspect which made multiplayer very unenjoyable for me. They all had the technology on their personas that I didn't have. This is probably my fault because I didn't work at it as hard and took that break, but it IS something worth mentioning. Before multiplayer can actually be something you like you have to withstand a great amount of butt kicking. It just destroyed whatever desire I had to play it, I personally like to be evenly matched with my opponents.

I will continue to play this series because of the story line. If they keep taking the things I like out of it, I will STILL play. The story line is one of the best I've seen in a video game like this. It keeps you at the edge of your seat and leaves you trying to guess and theorize what will happen next. The plot is absolute genius and I will suffer through the next one in order to know what happens next.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2010 4:58:39 PM PST
A. Zaparov says:
"...a majority of these missions you cant be detected in" - I so hate when "they" do it. good review. thanks.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 8:57:53 PM PST
Jason Bean says:
Good review. I personally still loved this game but yeah the glitches totally took away from the experience and I TOO hated the 'you can't be spotted' missions (I thought UBISOFT learned it's lesson after Splinter Cell).

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 6:28:13 AM PST
B. Allio says:
I agree there were definately some glitches in the singleplayer section for sure, but honestly multiplayer has been smooth sailing all the way. They have recently done an update that puts you in a pyramid and you play with only those that are around your ranking. Now this may end up being that a level 10 is playing with a level 50, but that's only because that level 10 has torn it up so far! Before that they implimented where they put you with people that were in the same range of levels you are, a level 10 generally would play those from 1-20. Lastly, believe me when I say the perks and abilities help, but the more practice you have will allow you to tear others to shreds even without abilities. A word of advice for those that are going to play multiplayer: don't run. Take your time. There have been matches I have gotten 5 kills 3900 points and someone else on my team got 10 kills 2000 points, and that's because he was running around like a psychopath.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 6:44:47 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 4, 2011 6:45:01 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 7:23:45 AM PST
T. Strothers, the fact that you deleted your comment cements what I was thinking, it makes no sense. I'm glad you spared everyone the trouble of reading it!!!

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 9:33:03 PM PDT
Trevor says:
Oh my god you're such a puss. It's not the sellers fault that the game YOU DECIDED TO BUY SUCKED. Now go **** yorself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 9:06:54 AM PST
No. No I'm not. I specifically said I enjoyed the game but there are some obvious things that needed work on it. I wound up completing the game and going through the pvp phases. You must struggle at reading because nothing I said was purely negative, its called constructive criticism.

Furthermore, you come on here to argue with me for an opinion I have? I don't blame the seller on here at all. Not once did I say the seller is horrible. So why are you even bringing that up? People like you are truly frustrating because you never think before you say things like this. You liked the game 100%? That's great! I'm not going to rip into you for that. Its called an opinion. But god help anyone if they ever disagree with your opinion. Seriously? Wow.

Dude there is enough hate and profanity in the world right now. Don't add to it. If you want to argue, come back with something meaningful to say that might prove what I say wrong like some of the other posters did. Otherwise you just look like a tool. And calling a girl a "puss"? Not really all that offensive to me. Have a nice day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2015 5:11:10 AM PDT