Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 1, 2012
First let me say, I probably skew the demographics on superhero TV and movies. I am a 52 year-old woman, and have loved the science fiction and superhero genres since I was 12. I love the X-men movies (all of them), most of the Batman movies, the first Iron Man movie,not crazy about Superman (too goody-goody for me, I like 'em dark!). I'm a faithful fan of the excellent Grimm, and the sometimes over-the-top Once Upon A Time. I even enjoy watching some of the animated Spiderman and others with my grandson (LOVE the Di-gata Defenders!). The best ones are archetypes, resonating in the soul.

That said, my review:

This series is really well-done, the cast is exceptionally strong considering their lack of fame, the acting is well above average for the genre, and particularly for a television series. It's dark, often creepy (but not so much that I wouldn't let a nine- or ten-year-old watch it), plenty of action, with a wonderfully believable set of characters. Stephen Amell is quite good, charming and gritty by turns, Katie Cassidy (Lauren) is quite talented and I really hope she gets a chance to show what she can do. Susanna Thompson (Oliver's mother), is a long-time favorite of mine (truly wonderful in NCIS as Lt.Col. Mann and Gibbs' brief love interest) has a character who is suitably deep and challenging for her. David Ramsey as John Diggle is prickly, distrusting and just cynical enough. His character is the one I am most concerned about, as it would be far too easy for the writers to allow him to become to prototypical "convert to the cause".

The show gets a little moralistic, but that may serve as a caution to the intended audience to mitigate the violence. I like the way the producers/writers are filling in Oliver's 5-year absence while he was shipwrecked a little at a time, and can't wait to see where this goes.

No, there isn't anything very original about the series, but it's so compelling that it hardly matters. I sincerely hope this stays on for a long time, provided the writing and the stories maintain their present quality!
88 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)