Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Tim and Faith STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 30, 2008
When I decided to purchase a fryer, I started by first doing research; reading online reviews(like this)and reading consumer publication reviews. Next I go to the manufacturer's website of the fryers that look good and download the instruction manuals for the model I am interested in. This allows me to really get a feel for the products features and find out if there are any drawbacks.Last,I went to some local stores to get a hands on look at fryers with similar capacities and features as the one(s)I am considering. This gave me a real since of how much food I could fry in these machines. So, having done all this I decided to go with the Presto ProFry(05466).
I have used the Presto Profry 3 times, frying shrimp, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes. Everything has cooked up nice and crisp with very little oily feeling or taste. This fryer comes with two half size baskets(about the same size as a basket in the smaller machines), but by going to the Presto web site I found out I could get a full size basket for it as well. I used the large basket when I fried the sweet potato fries and it allowed me to cook them without crowding them. The two smaller baskets allowed me to fry shrimp at the same time as mushrooms and bring them to the table at the same time.
I was little concerned about the size of this appliance, but it does not take up much more space than other smaller capacity fryers. Based on how I will use this, I decided larger would be better. I will not be frying all that often, it will be mostly be used when I have the family over for get-togethers. When I looked at the smaller fryers it was clear that they just would not hold enough to be efficient for a group(4-6 people). And if I am going to all the trouble of frying, I don't want to just fry a little bit(for just my husband and I). And as far as the "trouble" of frying goes, this machine is pretty easy. It holds a gallon of oil which is exactly the large size container the grocery store sells of veg. and peanut oil. I consider frying as something that should only be done outside, never in my kitchen. So, I just set up a table on my back patio next to the electric outlets and fry away. When I finish frying, cleanup is a matter of letting the oil cool and then pouring it through a strainer into a tight sealing container. I do not have a good filter/container system for this yet but I think a trip to the discount store will provide me with what I need. So far I have had my husband hold a tea strainer over the mouth of the container the oil came in and I carefully pour the oil in. I know there are one or two modes of fryers out there that are designed to streamline this process but the potential of the system failing and ending up with oil(maybe very hot!)leaking out and going everywhere makes me happy to just pour it out myself.
One other thing, I read on one of these reviews that since this is a large volume of oil, the heat sensor may register that it has reached the correct temp. but the oil closer to the surface my still be too cool to fry correctly. So, after the light goes out, indicating that it is up to temp. I take a long pair of tongs and gently stir the oil around and allow it to heat up a little more.
Finally, this a great machine, a good price, and I recommend it 100%.
260 helpful votes