Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, but not great tablet., April 28, 2011
This review is from: Dell Streak 7 7-Inch Wi-Fi Tablet with 16GB Internal Memory, Gray (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first Android-based tablet, and I'm not going to compare it to the tablet that's made by that fruit-themed company and will keep this within the Android space. The real competitor of the Dell Streak 7 is the Samsung Galaxy Tab (Wi-Fi). The Streak lacks in some features when compared to the Galaxy Tab, and based on stats alone, I think the Galaxy Tab has the Streak 7 beat by a wide margin.

The Dell Streak is a nice tablet, and I like the way it feels. When you hold it in landscape format, your right thumb can hit all of the control buttons. The weight wasn't that bad at around 18oz and felt ok. I could grip the tablet easy with one hand instead of tucking the other 10" tablet under my arm.

The Streak's screen resolution is smaller than the Galaxy Tab's - 800x480 vs 1024x600 on the same size screen. The Streak 7's icons seemed a bit fuzzy to me, but I'm not sure if that's my bad eyes or icons expanded from the resolution of an Android phone. The screen's covered with "Gorilla Glass", which I wasn't anxious to test out by scratching it up or dropping it. Either way, I'd recommend a screen protector just in case.

My first experience with Android was pretty cool. It's an easy enough OS to navigate around, and installing things like the Kindle app was fun to do and worked like a charm. The Swype keyboard is new for me, and it was cool to try even though it requires a learning curve, especially if you have sausage fingers like me. The Streak 7 runs the Froyo version (2.2) of Android. Apparently the Gingerbread (3.0) release is more tablet friendly, and I'm hoping that I'd be able to upgrade this without a problem.

Getting email set up was a breeze and I was able to surf the web just fine. Same with copying movies and music over.

The Dell Streak 7 has a larger rear-mounted camera than the Galaxy Tab - 5MP vs 3MP. In all actuality, I'm not sure how valuable that is. I don't plan on using this as a camera and it's too big to be convenient like a camera phone. But it will do 720p video as well, but again, I'm not sure how often you'd actually use this. They both have front mounted cameras and the Streak's worked fine but I don't like doing video chat, mainly because the camera always seems to aim up my nose.

The battery life was ok - I got through two movies before I had to charge it. The Galaxy Tab's battery is 44% bigger (2780 mAh vs 4000 mAh) so presumably I could get through another film. I travel quite a lot, so a longer battery life is preferred so I'm not always trying to charge things in between flights.

As for upgrading, I could add MicroSD cards (up to 32gb) and carry more music/shows/movies on them, but I really didn't feel like I needed to.

Overall I like the Dell Streak, but I can't help but feel tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Tab instead. The Galaxy Tab is $30 cheaper and gets better battery life (according to online reviews.) The Galaxy Tab seems like a no-brainer, but if you were to catch the Streak 7 on-sale, it'd be worth picking up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2011 11:04:46 PM PDT
Were you able to upgrade to Android 3.0?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 9:22:31 AM PDT
Nick says:
I haven't tried using any XDA Developers custom ROM, and since this is new to me, I don't know if I'm going to jump in the deep end yet.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 8:57:33 AM PDT
I don't see how the Galaxy Tab has this beat by "a wide margin." I have both, and they both have their pros and cons. The Galaxy Tab has a better screen, but the Streak 7's is fine. I only really notice the difference if I have them side by side. The Galaxy Tab also has much better battery life; no arguments there.

The Streak 7 has the better cameras. Not important to you, but it is important to someone (like me) who uses the camera. The Streak 7 also has a full SD card slot, which is a great feature. The Streak 7 also has 512MB of RAM to the Galaxy Tab's 256MB. This is huge, if you do a lot of multitasking (which I do). Last but certainly not least, the Streak 7 is running a dual core processor to the Galaxy Tab's single core. If you want to run games, Flash video, or just be a little more future proof, it's not even a contest. Add that the Streak 7 is far snappier in every way over the Galaxy Tab.

I have a Galaxy Tab for my wife. She wants a nice screen and a long battery life, and she basically uses it to browse the web and text. I have the Streak 7 for me, because I multitask, take photos, and play games (in addition to making phone calls, texting, internet browsing, YouTube, etc.). It's a bit nearsighted for you to miss all of the reasons for having a Streak 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011 9:43:49 AM PDT
Nick says:
In my defense I did say "based on stats alone." Again, experience differs. If I were looking at the WiFi-based tablets for mom or someone who's a non techie, I think the Galaxy Tab wins.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 4:58:18 PM PDT
J. Lee says:
Galaxy Tab has least 512MB of ram, uSDHC is good enough vs full-size SDHC, better screen @ 1024x600, better battery. That's a wide-margin.

Personally, the NookColor has both beat, for the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 10:13:18 PM PDT
Hi Zandar,
I don't get it "I have the Streak 7 for me, because I multitask, take photos, and play games (in addition to making phone calls, texting, internet browsing, YouTube, etc.)" Making phone calls, are you sure??
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 10:00:41 AM PDT
kp in PA says:
Please don't laugh, but do you know if this plays Farmville? That game is a huge memeory suck, but I'm completely addicted.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 9:06:34 AM PDT
Pls i would like to know for real, if streak 7 has voice i.e. makes calls,cause i know streak 5 does.,

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 10:06:49 AM PST
coach george says:
Hi,
You state "A good, but not great tablet"
What would make it a great tablet?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 4:54:58 PM PST
SmilelyT says:
Hi Miguel. Yes u can make phone calls on most tablets. I have the apple iPad. But, u can only make 20 minute calls. There is a free app u can download.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›