Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Virtually a perfect fit, May 11, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 350 DSLR Camera Backpack (Electronics)
After around one month of using this bag extensively, I can say that I have found it to be almost exactly what I would have designed for myself! I have taken this bag with me on long commercial flights with several connections, in the car for short as well as extended trips, on four seater prop planes for aerial shoots, etc. It always also contains my 17" Macintosh laptop as well, plus two extra batteries for the laptop. I have packed this bag in "default" mode relatively full, with all the gear I would likely need for a trip for BOTH the laptop as well as the D300, the extra 105 mm Macro Nikkor lens, two lens hoods, the SB800 flash, additional filters, batteries, etc. Yes, it is of course heavy (by my choice, of course), but the key is that it can and does handle it all well. The camera is very readily accessible (albeit not with the lens hood, which would require my opening the side compartment for access), I have the comfort of knowing that I have almost everything on me that I might need for the shoot, and the portability of a very sturdy and well built backpack that fits superbly when completely cinched around the shoulders, chest, and waist. The only reason that I gave it four and not five stars is because try as I might I have not found a way to attach even my smallest tripod (except for the table top version, which is indeed already in the bag) to the bag to take with me. The cost to step up to the model that accepts the tripod is rather steep, whereas it should have been a rather simple addition to a bag of this dimensions to attach a tripod hooking mechanism. Nevertheless, despite this drawback, this is the bag that I want with me for 99% of my travels - and which has become not only my #1 camera bag but frankly my #1 (17") laptop bag as well, now that I can take my laptop and camera equipment with me at all times. Great job, Lowepro!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2009 12:55:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2009 1:57:25 PM PDT
R. Perera says:
There are two ways I have found to carry a modest tripod with this bag.

1. Slide one of the legs into the laptop compartment and zip it up as far as possible
2. Attach some D-rings to the lower front compartment straps and you can loop some straps through them to hold your tripod. I use velcro straps that have some stretch to them so I can take the tripod off and on quickly. I have a small tripod so it might work better for me than others. If you have a heavy ballhead/panhead you might want to take it off and put it inside the bag (mine is off and on in 10 seconds). Also worth noting is because the tripod hangs at the bottom of the bag it isn't protected and could get scratched up or damaged if you aren't careful when you put it down.

I added a couple of pictures in the gallery so people can see what I mean...Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 5:34:28 AM PST
Stephen says:
If you ae considering the 350 or the 250, get the 350 bag. I got the 250 and I can report that the lack of a chest strap on the 250 bag is totally frustrating on any but a very short walk. Without the chest strap you need to hold the shoulder straps to keep the bag straps in a comfortable position.

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 4:03:42 AM PST
Great reviews. Thanks! I've had EXACTLY the same feeling with the Kata DR-467 bag, so great to hear this bag feels the same! It's excellent since it works for many things (ie, day trips, photography, working and travelling with a laptop). You may want to check out that bag since they're very similar but it does have a means to attach a tripod. Downside of that bag though is that it's got no protection on the bottom and that lenses point downwards, big water bottles don't go anywhere on the outsize, and it a bag which works fine as long your on camera lens is not too long. In case of long lenses you'll have to use filters to protect the end or get another bag (such as this Fastpack 350, the Kata 3N1, the Kata Owl, or the Naneu Military Ops Alpa L). As my gear is getting bigger (Nikon D700 plus a 70-200 lens) it means I need a slightly larger camera compartment. It appears that this bag is the other two Kata's are the best option in that case (apparently the Naneu has the laptop on the frontside of the bag which is very awkward).

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 8:46:42 PM PST
I have the 250 version of this bag and have used it as my main bag for the last three years. I have found two ways to carry a tripod depending on its size.
1. For my Travel Tripod I loosen the straps on the flap and stick the tripod underneath the flap, then cinch down the flaps. I can still access the camera without removing the tripod. This works for walkabout, but would not be suitable for a carry on situation most likely.
2. For my Full size tripod, it is a bit wide for method 1, so instead I stick Two of the three legs in the mesh bottle holder. I then use either Velcro straps or a similar method to secure it through the top handle. It may flop around a little bit, especially if the pack is not full, but I have found this suitable for day hikes and the like.

I can fit my D600 with 70-200 f2.8 in the compartment barely on the 250. I am thinking about this 350 because of the lack of the sternum strap and a little extra room as well as the AW cover.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›